Thread: Mulch ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mulch ?

Time for new mulch, 40-45 bags. is the Scott’s or Preen any better than the cheap no name bags?

Cheap is $2 bag vs Scott’s/Preen is $5-5.50 a bag.

2. Member
    Look for local companies that will deliver in bulk, much cheaper than bags.

3. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Yep or buy it by the cubic yard on a trailer. Last year I paid $29/scoop which is supposed to be 1-1.25 cubic yard.

4. Member
    We had all the mulch removed and replaced with egg rock. It was a one time expensive thing, but no more buying mulch every year. If you prefer bags Lowes has premium mulch on sale for 2.00 a bag right now. It worked as good as any we had tried before going to rock. Weeds are just part of either.

Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Bulk is a great way to go. We have a dump trailer and getting a load this weekend.

6. Member
    I prefer the bagged mulch... and yes... shop the 5 for $10.00 sale each spring. Bulk mulch is cheaper... but I'd much rather toss bags around than shovel the stuff out of the driveway. But then again, I'm looking at 50 bags rather than 10 yards...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusman2424 View Post
    I prefer the bagged mulch... and yes... shop the 5 for $10.00 sale each spring. Bulk mulch is cheaper... but I'd much rather toss bags around than shovel the stuff out of the driveway. But then again, I'm looking at 50 bags rather than 10 yards...
    I agree and prefer bags myself. Might be as much of a savings as some would think.

8. Member
    Be careful of untreated bulk mulch….. termites.

9. Member
    To many cats around here for mulch. We put out I think it’s called river rock. But not really a big space.

10. Member
    Look for any school/sports team fund raiser selling mulch. They deliver and put bags where you tell them around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusman2424 View Post
    understand. I also use a skid steer to load a UTV that we use to dump the mulch were it is needed. I get it to where she wants it and then it is up to her to "install correctly"

Just bought a pallet yesterday of 75 bags from Lowe’s @ $2/bag

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    understand. I also use a skid steer to load a UTV that we use to dump the mulch were it is needed. I get it to where she wants it and then it is up to her to "install correctly"
    Her? Install?
    Those two words would never be in the same sentence in my marriage.
    Unless her pointing out the window of where she wants the mulch installed.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Time for new mulch, 40-45 bags. is the Scott’s or Preen any better than the cheap no name bags?

Scott's definitely looks better and is a different grind than the Lowe's brand, color lasts longer too, don't waste your $$ on Preen, Scott's should go on sale again at 4 for $10 or 3 for $10, bags don't hold as much (1.5 vs 2 cu ft)

15. Member
    We did 3 tons of brown rubber mulch about 8 years ago. Still looks like real mulch. Great weed barrier and heavy enough to use a low-med speed leaf blower on.

I can tell you first hand that bulk mulch is far superior than bagged.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caymas ProXS View Post
    Just bought a pallet yesterday of 75 bags from Lowe’s @ $2/bag
    Just did 60 bags of the Red mulch at Lowes last weekend at $2/bag. I do this about every year as it honestly only lasts ~ 1 yr.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post

Preen mulch costs more because it has a pre-emergent herbicide incorporated into the mulch.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Skeeter View Post
    Just did 60 bags of the Red mulch at Lowes last weekend at $2/bag. I do this about every year as it honestly only lasts ~ 1 yr.
    I have 50 bags from Lowe's sitting on the trailer, waiting to be applied. I also renew that yearly. We did the higher end brand one year, but it didn't last any longer. So we go for the annual $2 a bag sale now.
    John

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    We had all the mulch removed and replaced with egg rock. It was a one time expensive thing, but no more buying mulch every year. If you prefer bags Lowes has premium mulch on sale for 2.00 a bag right now. It worked as good as any we had tried before going to rock. Weeds are just part of either.
    we did th e same thing--hated mulching every spring time and it washed away a lot also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast