Older rod finish - can I buff/sand?

I have an older AllStar that I realized I could put to good use. I plan to work on the cork and feel pretty confident there. The blank though...not sure how to describe. Like it's cloudy/gummy? I do not want to attempt any kind of refinish. If the answer is, "Just leave it alone.", I will accept that. OTOH, if there's some light buffing I could do or a chemical I could use, I would like to try it. Steel wool? Fine sandpaper? Magic eraser? Alcohol?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

2. Member
    magic eraser.... i just did a repair on guides for a friend on an old Allstar rod that had an issue like you are talking about so i thought i would see if i could clean it up for him, it cleaned up well does it look like new ...no...but looks much better than it did .....i would not sand or steel wool i think it will leave marks

3. Member
    I would leave it alone. Just make sure you get off all of the old thread finish. Fish won't know the difference. I've re-guided a lot of old rods and the couple of times I tried to make the blank "pretty" it didn't work.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrys View Post
    magic eraser.... i just did a repair on guides for a friend on an old Allstar rod that had an issue like you are talking about so i thought i would see if i could clean it up for him, it cleaned up well does it look like new ...no...but looks much better than it did .....i would not sand or steel wool i think it will leave marks
    I went home for lunch to do the cork part. While the wood filler was drying, I hit the blank with a Magic Eraser sheet. While lots of blue showed up on the sheet, once it dried, it went back to dull. Still better than before. I may try again later. Overall I am pleased with the look of the rod now, and it may get its first trip in decades tomorrow. The cork looks really nice.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

5. Member
    If you have one of the matt blue rods, I believe they used the same finish as the G Loomis blue GL2 and black GL3 in the same time period. Any solvent including denatured alcohol will remove the finish, first it messes it up then it comes off, I have a GL3 rod that now looks like a IMX because of it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    If you have one of the matt blue rods, I believe they used the same finish as the G Loomis blue GL2 and black GL3 in the same time period. Any solvent including denatured alcohol will remove the finish, first it messes it up then it comes off, I have a GL3 rod that now looks like a IMX because of it.
    Is that a good or bad thing?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

7. Member
    It fishes the same, what do I care, just a bit of extra time to clean up before rewrapping.