Thread: Nepotism

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Out of the 7 hourly employees sons hired 3 were as good as their father's. The other 4 were total losers.
    This made the work place a very hostile environment. One of the laziest was p'od at me for some odd reason. He tried to assault me but he drunk ,sI took advantage of the situation!!" Did I do that?" He never said a word to me again and he sure didn't let anyone else know what happened. Nepotism is not a good thing in manufacturing facility..

Looks like a lot of people are being held down by the man.

3. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by dlewis10 View Post
    I was always told when growing up: "It's not what you know, but who you know." The more people you get in good with, the better your opportunities for employment..

On a side note, I was pretty much a "keep to myself" type of person growing up. So...needles to say, I was always at a disadvantage when it came to getting a job.
    Same here. I'm just glad I got in with an OK company to work for 21 years ago while the getting was good and have turned myself into a good worker for them. The health insurance and pension plan are a great perk that a lot of newer employees will never be able to get because they don't let most people get that opportunity. Age has really forced me to start working smarter, not harder.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

4. Member
    Some of y'all need to look up the definition of nepotism. Just being related and working at the same company doesn’t = nepotism.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Some of y'all need to look up the definition of nepotism. Just being related and working at the same company doesn’t = nepotism.
    Who here defined it in that way only? I think a lot of us have first hand experience with nepotism that fits the definition perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    You’re correct…if the relation had nothing to do with the hiring, then it's not nepotism, let’s face it though…it usually/often does.

7. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    You’re correct…if the relation had nothing to do with the hiring, then it's not nepotism, let’s face it though…it usually/often does.
    I've seen the son have a falling out with the dad and then start his own business doing the exact same thing one town over. Took a lot of his dad's business from him when he did that. He asked my best friend to work for him because he knew he would help the business do well AND they're brother-in-laws. Left the family business then made his own business a family business. I find that hilarious.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    Just look at our prior president for the most horrible example of nepotism - not exactly the same as hiring your child to work in the mail room. I don’t fault business owners for promoting their relatives as it is their business but some of it is absurd.

9. Member
    Just look at our prior president for the most horrible example of nepotism - not exactly the same as hiring your child to work in the mail room. I don’t fault business owners for promoting their relatives as it is their business but some of it is absurd.

More a form of extortion than nepotism.

10. Member
    Happens everywhere all the time. I made my career decision because I had an uncle and a 2nd cousin that were successful in the furniture industry. My 2nd cousin hired me in 82 as an engineer after my degree. I was successful in that industry for 12 years before I settled at the community college teaching for the same industry. It can be great for those that take advantage of the situation but can be an issue for those that don't. Personally I have no issue with it. I would hire my son in a heartbeat. He's the superintendent at a local golf course. Just gotta go out and buy a golf course.
    Last edited by DLTJR; 04-05-2024 at 03:23 AM. Reason: added emoticon

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Which one?
    https://ballotpedia.org/Fact_check/H...ouse_positions
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxFishing View Post
    Were Family owned
    So, Hell yes. And then there's the Friend plan
    This is the American way. A family builds a business and passes it down to kids. The great thing about our country is that anyone with ambition can start their own business and pass it down. Family business can provide stability for generations.
    Call it nepotism if you want but I call it the American Way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234