Thread: Sabre FTD

Sabre FTD

I have a 2018 Sabre FTD with a 2-stroke 150 HP Merc Optimax. I am not getting any bow lift and only hitting 5000 RPMs and 43-45 mph with or without a passenger. I have a lot of weight on the nose, including an Ultrex, a 360, a Garmin 106sv, a Helix 10, BBT mount, and Garmin FFS. I am unsure of Jack plate height and had been running a 24p Tempest Plus, then switched to a 23p tempest plus with the same results. The console transducer is mounted on the transom near the plug on the boat itself. I would like to keep all of the electronics I currently have on the bow, so does anyone have a recommendation on if this is most likely a prop issue or something mechanical with the engine? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    It's a heavy nose issue, that boat isn't designed to have that much weight up front, not to mention it is underpowered, do you have lithium batteries in the rear as well?

3. Member
    I have one lithium for starting/electronics and 2 AGM for trolling motor.

4. Member
    Too much weight on the bow. You need to drop your motor deeper.
    I have an Ultrex, 106SV and livescope, I had to drop somewhere around 4.25" P2P and give it more trim to get bow lift.
    23P Tempest plus, 150hp merc.
    I do have dual blades in the back helping counterbalance the bow weight.

I had to go to a prop with more lift on my pantera classic to get more bow lift. Fury 3 and Tempest plus were not doing it. I ended up with a Solas Scorpion and it s almost too much lift. Might be worth trying.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Let me say, I am by no means a “how to set up guy”, but 43-45 mph with a Tempest plus 23p, sounds like more than a weight distribution issue. Have you had the motor checked out?
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    I ended up with a Solas Scorpion and it s almost too much lift. Might be worth trying.
    While I have never used one, I see this prop mentioned in almost every thread where bow lift is a problem. There must be something to it.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

8. Member
    Although a Classic, I got a lot more bow lift when I went from a 3 blade Fury to a 4 blade Bravo FS. You can try some of the recommendations mentioned above like jack plate height and weight distribution, and, if still no result, a properly pitched 4 blade prop will likely help.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S