Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have the Japanese Cornered the Market?

I was curious to see what 70s vintage Ambassador reels were going for so I went on EBay and it seemed that every listing almost was from Japan?What gives? They are proud of them too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39458624994...3Avlp_homepage

2. Member
    That's just stupid.

3. Member
    I have 3 of the 5000's all in great shape.
    Hi Mike.

4. Member
    My father has been saying this for years and sold a number of old Amabassadors to people in Japan for $$$

5. Member
    They seem to be wanting the 1500 and 2500 models for BFS conversion
    I,d rather be tried by 12 than be carried by 6

That's the reel I learned to cast a baitcaster on. My dad and uncle were ate up with Ambassadors in the 70's and had a bunch of those exact ones. In the mid 70's as a kid I'd play with them when dad was busy doing something else and I'd get the worst backlash you'd ever see. I wasn't supposed to mess with them due to that reason but eventually that what's he taught me with. He wouldn't believe they're selling for this much now, wish I still had them.

7. Member
    Damn and to think I was going to give mine away.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TE 863 View Post
    They seem to be wanting the 1500 and 2500 models for BFS conversion
    Any chance of converting what BFS is?

9. Member
    Holy Crap I just sold two of them at the last flea market for $45. The guy who bought them really checked them out and didn't bargain with me. Crap!!

Just checked eBay....I've been giving them away!!

10. Member
    Are parts still available for the old 5000 and 5500 reels?
    Hi Mike.

11. Member
    This is good to know. I have one that I'm about to retire. I probably would have given it away.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    The Japanese and Americans have been collecting vintage ABU reels for many years they were originally made in Sweden those bring the best prices the older reel boxes are of value too. Don Iovino was the man for "blueprinting" the reels both for anglers and collectors and sales. Don did some 1500c and 2500c for me years ago later I traded him those for new Revos 18 years ago.The 1500 and 2500 were before trigger sticks came out and Rods had pistol grips the smaller reels were a good fit. Back ih the day it was ABU Lews Diawa Shimano Quantum not much else.
    Salt n Fresh

13. Member

ABU Reels

Parts still can be bought and sold the desired reels not working, even taken apart can be sold collectors and rebuilders will pay for parts..I don't have a link sorry..
    Salt n Fresh

14. Member
    Thanks X - Pro
    Hi Mike.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Any chance of converting what BFS is?
    BFS: Bait Finess Systems....converting baitcasting reels to throw ultra light lines & baits...lots of parts to swap out but starts with a lighter spool (spins easier for lighter lines/baits), bearings.... BFS will let you throw trout/crappie baits...like 1/32 oz is common. Super fun....dive in! ps...lots of factory reels available to the BFS market now.

16. Moderator
    Them used to be work horses. I had that exact same reel that I sold on here for $50.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    BFS: Bait Finess Systems....converting baitcasting reels to throw ultra light lines & baits...lots of parts to swap out but starts with a lighter spool (spins easier for lighter lines/baits), bearings.... BFS will let you throw trout/crappie baits...like 1/32 oz is common. Super fun....dive in! ps...lots of factory reels available to the BFS market now.
    Thanks no way I would have guessed that.

18. Banned
    Holy cow! Wish I would have bought a few more of these years back

Remember the K models - C5000K that were only sold at K-Mart? They were about 30-40% less than the originals. I think I paid $29 or maybe $39 for them back in the day. Big difference for a kid back then. I think they had less bearings and weren't as good as the originals.

I had a Japanese friend that was in the antique fishing business and would show me pictures of some of the homes and the how the reel and lure collections were displayed in Japan. They were shrines to the reels and collectable fishing equipment. Bamboo fly rods, Orvis reels, Abu Gacia limited edition gold reels etc.... Most in lockable glass display cases with mirrored backs and just the right amount of light to make the reels pop. Almost Museam grade displays.

The Japanese take great pride in their dedication to vintage fishing tackle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast