New 5 port or go without

Just looking for opinions. Going to be adding Apex 16 at console and have 2 Apex 13's at bow. Have Targetlock, Megalive, and Ultrex I-Pilot Link. Installer said it would be best to go with new 5 port switch since it would be easier to troubleshoot down the road if something ever went wrong since new switch has lights etc. With what I have I could just use all ethernet ports on Apex's and have things connected. Just curious what you all things. With the speed of ethernet switch matching what Apex is I don't see a disadvantage swapping out the old one. And if I ever want to add something else would have extra port as well. Thanks.

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I have a similar situation with my 3 Apex units, Mega Live, and Minn Kota Ulterra Quest link. No matter how many Apex units you network with the internal ports, you will always have 2 extra ports (the first Apex and last Apex). The "rub" comes when you need to add one more network device.

In my case, I decided to buy a 2nd Mega Live to experiment with using at the same time on the network (yes it can be done when you connect both directly to the Apex ports), so I added the new 5 Port Switch for that third port need. I haven't noticed anything different since I added the switch a couple of months ago.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

If it was me, I would just interlink the units and not run the hub until I needed it. One less device in the network where something can go wrong. That being said, I have the new generation switch and haven't had a single network issue since I made the switch.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I would definitely not get the hub unless it's needed, I've had issues with them in the past (older model/version hub).

I have my three Apex units linked together just with the ethernet cables.

Why add another piece of equipment which could be a potential failure point to your set up if not needed?

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live