Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    This reminds me of my best friend who had a auto/truck shop. To get rid of old tires he would set them outside with $5-$10 "used tires"sign on them, they would be gone overnight.

2. Member
    Does that come with drill bits?

So this is a reminder of what happen to me over this past weekend. I don't have FB but my wife does. She has never posted anything on marketplace. I ask her if I can use her account and post our used zero turn mower for sale. I done this late Friday night and before going to bed people are already blowing her up on messenger. I'm think she had 6-7 asking if its still available and it had only been posted about 2 hours. In the add it was explained for any questions text or call the cell number listed (my number). I told her just tell them to text or call me. Well at 615 AM the next morning I am woke with a call asking about the mower. Its a very nice and friendly person. I can tell he has some age on him in his voice and he confirms he is an older gentleman who is retired. He said he is 140 miles away and wants to ensure he knows everything about the mower before he makes the trip. We discuss the mower and he informs me he'll be there around noon.

So from the time I wake up until he arrives I have 4-5 callers. My wife has another dozen or so hitting her on messenger. I suppose they don't understand the part of text or call the number provided. The ones who called I would tell them I had someone on the way to look at it and I would call them if it fell through. One actually said if he don't take it I'll give $50 more than your asking if you will hold it until Tuesday. I can honestly say I'm glad the first person was the guy whom I dealt with. He and his wife were very nice people. We fire up the mower and he saw it run and engaged the blades. It would not drive because of a busted tensioner sheave. He was aware of the issue and I sent him pictures of the broken sheave before he ever made the long drive. After he fire up the mower and saw the blades engaged he never ask if my price was negotiable he just said lets load the mower and gave me my asking price.

At first my wife thought it was funny that around a dozen people messenger her in just a short few hours but it soon become frustrating. My wife was on the back porch watching me and the guy that came to look at our mower. us. As soon as she see we are going to load the mower she is texting me saying can I remove the add. She and I were both glad it sold quick and very thankful the first person was such a easy person to deal with. A few I talk to on the phone I could tell would be a handful with their buying tactics. Most would ask what I thought was stupid questions like is this still available when it was just posted 2 hours ago.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    So this is a reminder of what happen to me over this past weekend. I don't have FB but my wife does. She has never posted anything on marketplace. I ask her if I can use her account and post our used zero turn mower for sale. I done this late Friday night and before going to bed people are already blowing her up on messenger. I'm think she had 6-7 asking if its still available and it had only been posted about 2 hours. In the add it was explained for any questions text or call the cell number listed (my number). I told her just tell them to text or call me. Well at 615 AM the next morning I am woke with a call asking about the mower. Its a very nice and friendly person. I can tell he has some age on him in his voice and he confirms he is an older gentleman who is retired. He said he is 140 miles away and wants to ensure he knows everything about the mower before he makes the trip. We discuss the mower and he informs me he'll be there around noon.

So from the time I wake up until he arrives I have 4-5 callers. My wife has another dozen or so hitting her on messenger. I suppose they don't understand the part of text or call the number provided. The ones who called I would tell them I had someone on the way to look at it and I would call them if it fell through. One actually said if he don't take it I'll give $50 more than your asking if you will hold it until Tuesday. I can honestly say I'm glad the first person was the guy whom I dealt with. He and his wife were very nice people. We fire up the mower and he saw it run and engaged the blades. It would not drive because of a busted tensioner sheave. He was aware of the issue and I sent him pictures of the broken sheave before he ever made the long drive. After he fire up the mower and saw the blades engaged he never ask if my price was negotiable he just said lets load the mower and gave me my asking price.

At first my wife thought it was funny that around a dozen people messenger her in just a short few hours but it soon become frustrating. My wife was on the back porch watching me and the guy that came to look at our mower. us. As soon as she see we are going to load the mower she is texting me saying can I remove the add. She and I were both glad it sold quick and very thankful the first person was such a easy person to deal with. A few I talk to on the phone I could tell would be a handful with their buying tactics. Most would ask what I thought was stupid questions like is this still available when it was just posted 2 hours ago.
    Some very shady characters live on Facebook Marketplace. When I say live, I mean LIVE. They're either scammers from another country or local dope heads trying to score something cheap with stolen money just to sell ir trade for more dope.

5. Member
    I’ll take it….🦗🦗

6. Member
    I’ve actually had a lot of luck buying and selling on Facebook. They have every one of those characters for sure, but a lot of eyes seeing it. My wife and I sell all kinds of our junk.

Before I listed my 1993 Suburban on Facebook Marketplace, I set it on a friend's property near a major highway. I got a couple calls. I answered all of their questions, etc. and one guy wanted to meet, look it over in detail and drive it. We arranged a time the following evening. He had my phone number and I had his. I waited on him for an hour, texting him several times wondering if he was still coming. He never showed and never answered my texts. No doubt, some high school kid who thought that pranking me was fun. So, I listed it on Facebook Marketplace and and got several legit inquiries. The first guy who contacted me came and look at it and bought it for near my asking price.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Some very shady characters live on Facebook Marketplace. When I say live, I mean LIVE. They're either scammers from another country or local dope heads trying to score something cheap with stolen money just to sell ir trade for more dope.
    Yep. One thing to watch for are the people that will respond with a message that says "I'm interested in your item, call me at *********. The first time I saw that I was suspicious and simply said we can message though Facebook just fine. The response was "please just call me, I'll buy your item". I responded saying a phone call wasn't necessary. The next response was "JUST CALL ME!!!!" So that confirmed it was scammers. Don't ever call someone who's asking you to.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post

People on marketplace aren't capable of following orders. If you say "no holds, no trades, cash only" you'll get people asking you to hold the item, asking you to trade, and asking you if you'll take venmo. My favorite is when I list an item for free pickup and a dozen people ask if I'll deliver it to them. It never ceases to amaze.

10. Member
    I just sold a compressor on FB marketplace yesterday, I was planning on giving it to a friend if it didn't sell by that evening. I had a guy message me with a local cell phone to call...so I bit and he actually turned into a decent local guy needing a compressor. He actually sent me a video of himself getting into his van to come pick it up from me...that was a first.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Sold my last boat through marketplace. It was a simple transaction. Guy drove all the way from Las Vegas to buy it. Lots of scammers show up when you list an item. Just need to know how to weed through them.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

12. Member
    I have been successful at selling several items using my wife’s fb account. Usually get one or two “what is the lowest you will go” questions. I ignore those. There is usually some small negotiation on price but, not much. The people who offer the asking price and want delivery many miles away were not serious anyway. Bought my boat off marketplace. The purchase was easy as the seller was a man of good character. He gets visitation privileges on the boat. We still fish together.

13. Moderator
    Had a trolling motor on marketplace and a guy offered $200 less because he had to drive 3 hours to pick it up.

Selling in general is always tough. You have to be rigid to potential buyers , cause they try to lowball, not show up on time.

Gotta be up front with them. negotiating before viewing is usually a sign they are not serious.

I use FB marketplace for alot of things.
    Last edited by BMCD; 04-03-2024 at 11:32 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Guess I've been lucky, sold a boat, trolling motor and 2 Garmin units on Marketplace without any trouble. My wife has dealt with everything just like the video but she sells a lot of clothes and house decor. The biggest problem she has experienced is people not showing up to get the stuff.

16. Member

21 XD 225 Merc

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Poke View Post
    Sold my last boat through marketplace. It was a simple transaction. Guy drove all the way from Las Vegas to buy it. Lots of scammers show up when you list an item. Just need to know how to weed through them.
    That's exactly right. I love marketplace and sell and buy often. You just have to wade through the scams and flaky people but I do really think it's a great free service.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Very accurate. My favorite is, "whats the lowest you'll go"
    I counter with, just for you since you can't seem to read, $xxx... I add $50 to the price for their special lowest I will go for them pricing.

19. Member
    My rules for FB selling: 1. Price it 10% above what you want for it cause 90% of buyers won't ever pay full price 3. No holds unless you're in your car and on the way, then it's maybe an hour or so at the most. 2. No online dickering period. You arrive with cash and we come to an agreement then fine but I'm done with going back and forth 8 times only to have them not show 4. Won't give out my phone number. We can communicate by DM's just fine. Too many scams and phone number harvesting going on.

I think my least favorite type of buyer (after the no-show folks) is the one who looks the item over, likes it, chats a while, and then tries the hard-sell buy. They (usually he) hands me a stack of bills but it's short. I tell them I counted 'X' and they respond with "yeah, take it or leave it" while suddenly being in a rush to leave. I only caved to that once because it wanted it gone and there wasn't much interest. Such a dick move IMO.

Dumbest questions came when my ad read "10' length of 18" culvert". Multiple people asked how long it was and one guy wanted to know if he could get a longer piece. I told him "sure" and gave him the name of the supplier that only sells 20' lengths
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

20. Banned
    No issues at all buying or selling on fb, maybe it's just some of you guys are hard to deal with.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast