Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another tricky legal case

As I've said before, I like Lehto's Law because he discusses complicated legal cases where there's no clear right and wrong. Sometimes what's right isn't just and sometimes what's legal isn't right, etc.

In this case, a 40-ish y.o. man is reported to the city by the older female neighbor for ordinance violations. He's none too happy about that so he places multiple signs on his property that can be read from the neighbor's house expressing his opinion. One was something about how people should mind their own business and another said eff off using the profanity. If I understand it correctly, since she is now considered a witness to the ordinance violation, he's facing felony charges for intimidating a witness. Even though none of the signs made a threat, the lady felt uncomfortable that he would direct such comments towards her. So the question comes down to where does free speech end and harassment/intimidation/hate speech begin?

Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

IMO, you're a azzhole to put up signs all over your yard with profanity on display for your neighbors and passerbys to see, whether it's legal or not. There was a homeowner on a state road going to Dale Hollow with FUJB signs all over his yard next to the road a couple of years ago. Real classy.

3. Member
    We had the exact same scenario happen in my neighborhood, although I don't think he was ever charged with intimidating a witness.

Guy was a hoarder and had all kids of chit in his drive and in his yard. Well, someone in the neighborhood ratted him out out and he spray painted his thoughts about it on a sheet of OSB that everyone could read as they drove or walked by. He eventually got kicked out. He couldn't have had a penny to his name.

Wouldn't there have to be some proof of intent?

Another funny thread showing just how screwed up lawyers and the court system are.
    Burn a police car in a "mostly peaceful protest" oh well, put up signs in your yard, felony.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Another funny thread showing just how screwed up lawyers and the court system are.
    Burn a police car in a "mostly peaceful protest" oh well, put up signs in your yard, felony.
    That has never been " Oh well" as you say. If caught, it's arson and a serious felony. Some idiots tried it here and were identified and prosecuted for just that. As far as the signs, it was your neighbor trying to intimidate you, you might feel differently, maybe not. I know if my neighbor put signs in his yard filled with profanities towards me, he probably wouldn't be the one facing a felony. I'm easy going, but there are limits.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    That has never been " Oh well" as you say. If caught, it's arson and a serious felony. Some idiots tried it here and were identified and prosecuted for just that. As far as the signs, it was your neighbor trying to intimidate you, you might feel differently, maybe not. I know if my neighbor put signs in his yard filled with profanities towards me, he probably wouldn't be the one facing a felony. I'm easy going, but there are limits.
    I don't know what you were watching in the summer of 2020, but there were a whole lot of cop cars burned up without any charges being placed. I don't think there were many people charged for doing much of anything including burning businesses and looting a police department. Some politicians even volunteered to organize any bail being needed to be paid by donations. (I won't name names).

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    I don't know what you were watching in the summer of 2020, but there were a whole lot of cop cars burned up without any charges being placed. I don't think there were many people charged for doing much of anything including burning businesses and looting a police department. Some politicians even volunteered to organize any bail being needed to be paid by donations. (I won't name names).
    True Dat
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

9. Member
    It's called free speech. You don't like what a sign says dont look at it.

10. Member
    How about this flag war between neighbors?
    zzzzzzzzzcold.png

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    This ^

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Depends on how liberal the court is. We've seen that recently in courtrooms and still going.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    zzzzzzzzzcold.png
    That has to be the silliest spat ever. Can't imagine getting upset over a flag in someone else's yard.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    That has to be the silliest spat ever. Can't imagine getting upset over a flag in someone else's yard.
    What if you were black?
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    That is nearly impossible to prove
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by rds_nc View Post
    What if you were black?
    Black people get upset about flags in other peoples yards?

Are you trying to start a new stereotype?

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    zzzzzzzzzcold.png
    Is that American flag holder what I think it is?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catman2 View Post
    It's called free speech. You don't like what a sign says dont look at it.
    That's not free speech, if the sign was directed towards the government its "free speech" but not when its aimed at your employer, spouse or neighbor.
    2021 Ranger 521C
    2021 Mercury ProXS 250
    3 x Lowrance HDS12's
    1 x Lowrance HDS9
    Active Target

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    That's not free speech, if the sign was directed towards the government its "free speech" but not when its aimed at your employer, spouse or neighbor.
    Lmao and biting my tongue due to your location.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
    Could you explain that a little more for us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast