Looking for decent frog rod blank

I'm considering building a new frog rod built. What blanks would you all recommend? I like NFC blanks, but would also consider Point Blank and St Croix.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Member
    IMO the best frog blank is a Hydra Ng FL4. For NFC I'd recommend an IM MB807 (don't go HM or Xray on a frog rod). I like Point Blank blanks but there isn't one I'd recommend for frogging. I have a PB761HF which should be a good frog blank from the specs but isn't as far as I'm concerned.

3. Member
    I am fond of the SCV and SCIV 7'11" HM. Rodgeeks is your only way to get a "St. Croix" blank anymore. That said, the Rodgeeks I have built on are very good quality blanks and reasonably priced.

4. Member
    I think the 7'MH point blank makes a great frog blank.
    I also like the MHX FP 885 a lot.

What kind of frogs are you planning on throwing, and what kind of cover?

5. Member
    Phenix UMBX 707 Heavy is another good choice. Harry

Here's what I would build...

https://batsonenterprises.com/rod-bl...ass-freshwater

IMMC73HXF-TC
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

7. Member
    I think it's an interesting question and one that's difficult to answer since frog fishing can be done in zero cover to expansive grass mats and everything in between, thus requiring different blanks. Walking a frog in open water/sparse cover vs. needing a broomstick to drag a fish across 20 yards of mat/slop.

I haven't found any blanks that compete/compare with my Shimano Expride 7-3 XH. It's darn near perfect and I've about given up on searching for a blank to have my own build. I'm certainly interested in seeing more recommendations.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

8. Member
    Avid, Your blank in the original RX8 part number, the XMB 874.5-TC and the XMB 944.5-TC were both tested for this some 13 years ago, by Steve Garner, and many other builders/successful tournament anglers, found the above blanks were to powerful to effectively throw a frog.

I have a couple of rods built on MHX fp885 blanks that have been used for frogs but are better for flipping IMO.

I like the dobyns 735c rods for frogs more though and just stuck with that. It has a lighter tip than the fp885 which is better for working the frogs. The backbone is a true heavy action.

However, I have played with a ALX toadface and the tip is a little softer with the same heavy backbone. They call it a medium heavy +. ALX and Hydra are the same company I think and that rod appears to use a shorter version of the FL904F-NG on the Hydra website.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the input! After doing some reading and research, I think I'm going to go with the Hydra Ng FL3. I talked with Alex at ALX, and it's almost the same blank they use for the Toadface. I've never seen anything but positive reviews on that rod, and most say it is extremely versatile, good for many techniques besides frogs. Sounds like pretty much what I'm looking for.

11. Member
    Great choice
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger1 View Post
    Avid, Your blank in the original RX8 part number, the XMB 874.5-TC and the XMB 944.5-TC were both tested for this some 13 years ago, by Steve Garner, and many other builders/successful tournament anglers, found the above blanks were to powerful to effectively throw a frog.
    Good to know. I had an earlier version made for me, but only got 3 trips out of it before I fell out of the boat and took it with me. So I guess 4 trips.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

13. Member
    Could the hydra blank be cut down 6” and still be a good frog rod. Building one for the wife. She likes shorter handles. Will it work cut down to 7’?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davet63 View Post
    Thanks for all the input! After doing some reading and research, I think I'm going to go with the Hydra Ng FL3. I talked with Alex at ALX, and it's almost the same blank they use for the Toadface. I've never seen anything but positive reviews on that rod, and most say it is extremely versatile, good for many techniques besides frogs. Sounds like pretty much what I'm looking for.
    You mean FL904 right? Pretty sure there's not a 3 power. I've build a lot of them and have 2 personal rods. Great frog rod and does a lot well, bladed jig, jig, it'll even throw a 6" Magdraft.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kititas View Post
    Could the hydra blank be cut down 6” and still be a good frog rod. Building one for the wife. She likes shorter handles. Will it work cut down to 7’?
    Yep it'll be fine.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    You mean FL904 right? Pretty sure there's not a 3 power. I've build a lot of them and have 2 personal rods. Great frog rod and does a lot well, bladed jig, jig, it'll even throw a 6" Magdraft.
    Sorry, yes, I meant the FL904, just fat fingered it and didn't realize it.

Thanks!