Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rural mail box ?

I'm planning a new rural mailbox and post, thinking solar light box numbers and remote wireless delivery alert system when the door is open. Any thoughts or ideas for a custom style setup?

2. Member
    8535821_orig.jpg

if allowed in your area but with your particular motor.

3. Member
    If you order a lot of stuff online I'd opt for the large mail box for the smaller items can fit inside.

I'm interested in that wireless delivery alert system.
    Hi Mike.

Not sure about your area, but around here, the more attention you draw to your mailbox, the more likely that it won't survive Halloween. Perhaps a plain Jane mailbox would suffice.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Plain jane is what I’d go for. Just maybe me, but fancy mailboxes are not my thing. Had many destroyed by snowplows and careless drivers.

6. Member
    Alert system options with Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mailbox+m...l_544g6t8b2r_e
    No problems in this area with punk's or drivers.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btlsranger View Post
    Plain jane is what I’d go for. Just maybe me, but fancy mailboxes are not my thing. Had many destroyed by snowplows and careless drivers.
    +1
    Around here the snowplow guys aim for the pretty mailboxes first. When those are gone they start working on the plain metal ones
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

8. Member
    Thankfully we have no snowplows lol and no hoodlums to speak of. Maybe a stray wasp nest under the mailbox or fireants around the post.
    Hi Mike.

9. Member
    I don't know how classy your neighborhood is but I'd go with a one that looks like Friday Farm Girl bending over with her fanny facing the street
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

10. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Would USPS delivery notice be easier?

https://www.usps.com/manage/informed-delivery.htm

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebw View Post
    Would USPS delivery notice be easier?

https://www.usps.com/manage/informed-delivery.htm
    If you trust the mail carriers in your area that would/should work great. Would not work in my area. 75% of the time my carrier doesn't even close the door or leaves my mail in other peoples mailbox and I get other's mail in mine.
    Hi Mike.

12. Member
    Plain Jane for sure.

13. Member
    Just a plain ol' mailbox with a flag works great.

Cheaper the better.

15. Member
    Another big plain Jane for me: During Halloween around they go by them and throw huge pumpkins and knock them off the pole. The last time that happened to mine several years I took it up to my shop(it is .2 of a mile from my house on my private drive), hammered the dents out and placed a 25# lead weight I used to use on my dirt cars inside and bolted it down nicely. Now the pumpkins just bounce off it. Ha. It sits on a bulldozer track pad and steel pole!

16. Member
    Mailman kept leaving door open. Put a locking one on a steel post. Holds small packages.

Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Another big plain Jane for me: During Halloween around they go by them and throw huge pumpkins and knock them off the pole. The last time that happened to mine several years I took it up to my shop(it is .2 of a mile from my house on my private drive), hammered the dents out and placed a 25# lead weight I used to use on my dirt cars inside and bolted it down nicely. Now the pumpkins just bounce off it. Ha. It sits on a bulldozer track pad and steel pole!
    HAHA One cherry bomb with door closed.... mailbox is history. AHhhh, saw a friend do it!
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

18. Member
    My son has a welded 1/2" steel box on a solid 5" steel post in the country after punks took out a couple normal box'es. It was not long and he found a broken ball bat and some glass with blood in the road next to it.

We went with this Oasis model by Architectural Design. The only issue we had was the rubber gasket for the lower door had to be glued back on but otherwise it's done well. The top door is baffled so you can't reach down into the lower locked section to pull mail back out.
    IMG_4195.jpeg
    Ranting incoherently

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Not sure about your area, but around here, the more attention you draw to your mailbox, the more likely that it won't survive Halloween. Perhaps a plain Jane mailbox would suffice.
    Yup, something that won't cost you a bunch to replace.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast