mercury 250 four stroke break in wot question

manual says keep under 4500 rpm first two hrs but every 10 minutes wot so does that mean motor trimmed down with jackplate down get to 4500rpms for one minute or trim some and try to get to 6000 rpm

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyfeet View Post
    manual says keep under 4500 rpm first two hrs but every 10 minutes wot so does that mean motor trimmed down with jackplate down get to 4500rpms for one minute or trim some and try to get to 6000 rpm
    I believe Don had a post on 4 stroke break-in, in the frequently asked questions on the 4 stroke forum. I think the manual meant to run it at 6000 rpm for no longer than 1 minute, every 10 minutes or so. I don't think it matters much on what combination of throttle and trim you need to hit at least 6000 rpm, the rpm is more important than the trim or throttle setting to seat the rings.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

3. Member
    per don:
    For the First Two Hours of Operation
    : Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Get the boat on plane, and operate the engine at up to 4500 RPM's (Important: Vary engine RPM's every 2-5 minutes). Run the engine to FULL THROTTLE for 60 seconds once every 10 minutes (approximately).

Additional Recommendation: Though not listed in Owner's Manuals, it is an excellent idea to have the engine make at least two (2) complete HEAT CYCLES during the first 2 hours of operation. A heat cycle consists of: Ambient temp, start engine, come to operating temp, run engine for at least 5 minutes on plane, return to idle, stabilize engine temp, shutdown engine and allow to cool to ambient temp. Note: Heat cycles CAN be done on different days.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    thanks wording i guess in manual wording should read only time over 4500 rpms is doing the one minute wot every ten minutes

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    per don:
    For the First Two Hours of Operation
    : Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Get the boat on plane, and operate the engine at up to 4500 RPM's (Important: Vary engine RPM's every 2-5 minutes). Run the engine to FULL THROTTLE for 60 seconds once every 10 minutes (approximately).

Additional Recommendation: Though not listed in Owner's Manuals, it is an excellent idea to have the engine make at least two (2) complete HEAT CYCLES during the first 2 hours of operation. A heat cycle consists of: Ambient temp, start engine, come to operating temp, run engine for at least 5 minutes on plane, return to idle, stabilize engine temp, shutdown engine and allow to cool to ambient temp. Note: Heat cycles CAN be done on different days.
    ^^^ Right there

There is absolutely nothing in the Break-In instructions for your 4-stroke that indicates anything about tucking in, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    This was confusing for me also when breaking in my motor. Dealer said to run it wide open as in beyond 4500 rpm as stated here for a about a minute every ten minutes. He did tell me to tuck it in though when running 4500rpm and under and vary speed.

Personally I would listen to what Don said and treat it as gospel...
    2005 Triton TR-186
    2024 Mercury Pro XS 150