Question Hydrofoil Needed

I have a light 20'-5" bass boat, '86 Shadow tunnel boat. I have a '93 Merc 200 2.5L on it with a bass mid, and Bob's Machine low water pickup mounted to a 10" manual jack plate. I mounted a Garmin Force trolling motor with two Garmin 93SV chart plotters. The Shadow tunnel boats do not like nose weight. I would like to get the nose up at lower speeds. Pending on the prop and engine height I'm running, I need to be running 50+ MPH to really get the nose up. I had a metal hydrofoil in the past on a different boat years ago. I would like to find the same or get the dimensions so that I can have one fabricated, or if someone has one laying around that they can give me the dimensions or part with. Appreciate any help in advance.

2. Member
    Attachment 546644This is what I am looking for. This is NOT my Rig

3. Member
    Never heard of the hydro foil to get the nose UP?

4. Member
    bobs make a great hydrofoil had on on stratos worked well
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    It does both, holeshot in keeping the nose down when the motor is trimmed in and helps get the nose up at lower speeds and keeps it up at lower speeds while it is still in the water. Reduces cavitation as well by funneling the water out of the hole and when turning at higher speeds.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH-BCB View Post
    It does both, holeshot in keeping the nose down when the motor is trimmed in and helps get the nose up at lower speeds and keeps it up at lower speeds while it is still in the water. Reduces cavitation as well by funneling the water out of the hole and when turning at higher speeds.
    also made my bravo1 work much better in reverse
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Unfortunately, Chris Bailey is no longer with us ….so a CB Marine foil is not an option.

I recommend you look for a used foil (cb marine or bryan’s) and/ or get the dimensions from someone here that has your lower then have a local fabricator make you one.

I can make you a drawing with measurements (not to scale but measured accurately) of mine if you’d like (Opti 200). Just PM me if you are interested & I’ll knock one out this week.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH-BCB View Post
    No the foil keeps the nose down at all times it does not add lift to your nose like your looking for.

9. Member
    Have the same problem with my flats boat. Runs very flat with very little bow lift until it hits 55mph, then it will begin lifting. Faster you go the more trim and lift you can get out of it.

After trying multiple different props the Fury 4 gave the best lift, handling, and performance.

I do not believe a hydrafoil would contribute to bow lift.

I have an Allison style hydrofoil I got made, Is never been installed. If you are interested, I can send you some pictures. I went to a bravo 1 and it fixed my issue.
    2009 Nitro z-7
    2008 EFI 150