Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about transom and stringer rot

I believe my 1994 Charger Foxfire 180VF has a rotted transom and the floorboard at the seating area is soft. The boat has been sitting outside uncovered in all weather conditions Stockton dishes out. No snow.

Anyway would it be a fair assumption to think that if the transom is rotted that it’s likely the stringers are probably rotted as well when considering how the floorboard decking at the seating area is soft? Or should the stringers be sealed up good enough from the factory that if no holes were in them that they should still be good?
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-30-2024 at 10:23 AM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

I would bet your assumption is accurate. You got transom rot, floor rot=stringer rot as well!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    I would bet your assumption is accurate. You got transom rot, floor rot=stringer rot as well!

Well if the stringers are rotted then I'd most likely have to pull the top cap to replace the stringers. Sounds like a time consuming task.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Well if the stringers are rotted then I'd most likely have to pull the top cap to replace the stringers. Sounds like a time consuming task.
    Honestly, you may want to shop around for another hull with a blown motor?

Yeah but then I'm not 100% convinced the engine is a keeper yet either so making the best with what I have. Besides money does not grow on trees in my house.

7. Member
    I can understand that for sure! Sometimes it's not worth it to spend a lot of time and $ on a project like yours only to find MORE. It's like doing a remodel in a kitchen. Once you start the demolition, you uncover more problems. Anyway, good luck to you in this endeavor.

I’ve been where your at. I certainly cannot afford these boat prices so…I restored my previous Skeeter doing the very same things your faced with. Luckily, I had some knowledge what I was doing and a friend lending his expertise along the journey. Took about 8 months to get her back on the water. Spent quite a bit of time, effort, and money; however, I made the money back when I sold it to get in my current rig. The motor, in my case, was an indestructible Mariner that was my deal breaker. If it wasn’t as good as it was, I would’ve cut my losses.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Well I just pulled the motor so I can put some thick 1/2" x 16" x 3" plates on both sides of the transom. It sounds solid when I tap it with the ball peen. I'm going to just brace it for now and hope for the best. The transom is 3" thick so it's not likely to just blow out if I take it easy and monitor it. The starboard top bolt hole is wallowed out quite a bit though :/

I'll worry about fixing it later and keep my tackle light just in case it does go down.

20240401_185821.jpg20240401_191114.jpg20240401_191133.jpg

The water surface temp gauge sending unit had a broken bolt and was just sealed with silicon:/

20240401_191155.jpg20240401_191201.jpg

I definitely got burned on this boat and learned a lot about boats in the process since this was my 1st boat. Still this is a fkn nice boat regardless. Just too small in my opinion even if it cuts through rough seas like it's nothing.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 04-02-2024 at 10:55 AM.

10. Member
    Do you have cracks in the splash well and on top of the transom?

Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    Do you have cracks in the splash well and on top of the transom?
    Surprisingly no. The bottom has bowed up though, same with my live wells. I think that is likely from heat and living out in the open sun during the summer.

12. Member
    You say you got "burned on this boat" did you buy it under the impression it was a solid boat and motor? Just curious as there are some shady individuals out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    You say you got "burned on this boat" did you buy it under the impression it was a solid boat and motor? Just curious as there are some shady individuals out there.
    Yes. It was sold from a boat salvage yard and we did a very limited test drive. Float and get on plane. Steering was always an issue from cables too so I upgraded to a sea star hydro unit too. Looking back now, I can see all the compounding issues it has/had.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Bass Fool View Post
    Surprisingly no. The bottom has bowed up though, same with my live wells. I think that is likely from heat and living out in the open sun during the summer.
    The bottom of the splashwell is bowing up? If you don't have any cracks in the splashwell and transom top and it sounds solid when you hit it with a ballpein hammer, I would say it is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    The bottom of the splashwell is bowing up? If you don't have any cracks in the splashwell and transom top and it sounds solid when you hit it with a ballpein hammer, I would say it is still good.
    Ok I put my reading glasses on and even with them It's still hard to detect the cracks but it actually does have the typical corner cracks that champions and challengers are known for having. I'm pointing to them in the following pics. The splash well bulges upward a bit. I'll try to show in these pics. I'm doing my best with my knowledge to explain and show the best I can. I'll try to record and upload a quick youtube video with me using a ballpeen hammer to check the sound.

20240402_145351.jpg
    20240402_145705.jpg20240402_145616.jpg20240402_145536.jpg20240402_145507.jpg

Video of ballpeen hammer tapping test.

What do y'all think? Is it a goner or did I catch it before it was too late?

17. Member
    I am by NO MEANS an EXPERT, but overall it doesn't sound too bad to me. A few bad spots, but overall it seems workable.

It has been drying out this past couple of days in the dry weather we are having. It might rain again tonight so I'll just put some tape over the holes to keep moisture out incase it does rain this evening etc.

Honestly does not sound too bad. When you pull the plug, is there excessive water comin out, or does your bilge come on when on the water?
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

I have other issues that cause water to leak into the bilge area but much of that issue could of been these motor bolt holes not sealed up properly.

I have cracks and missing Gelcoat on the rear bottom corners too.

I put tape on the bottom for the last two trips last month and it definitely slowed the water intrusion and yes I am/was manually hitting the bilge pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast