Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1999 200 hp Optimax stalling on take off

Engine is 1999 optimax 200 hp serial 0G945858 on my bass boat. I replaced the antisiphon valve on the fuel tank, along with the black fuel hose and grey fuel line with new bulb last year due to engine stalling after trying to takeoff. It does fine idling or driving around few miles per hour, but it sputters and sometimes dies when I increase the throttle. I've had this problem year after year when I start using the boat in April after sitting for about 9 mths and eventually corrects itself after a few trips, but last year it did not. I thought I solved the problem last year after replacing the antisiphon valve but same problem returned today. I then knocked out the ball from the antisiphon valve but that didn't fix the problem. I use quickclean and Mercury fuel stabilizer, along with the ethanol fuel treatment. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the belt and tensioner. Tensioner should have at least 70 lbs/in tension, if belt isn't new or very recently replaced, good idea to do it now.

Then see if you still have a problem- glad to help further if you do.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I would take apart every fuel hose end connection to see if the inner liner folded in partially, when the new fuel hoses were installed.

4. Member
    Can you please help me figure out how to remove and replace the belt? How do I know if the tensioner needs to be replaced? Thanks so much

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spotfin View Post
    Can you please help me figure out how to remove and replace the belt? How do I know if the tensioner needs to be replaced? Thanks so much
    You need a inch pound torque wrench capable of reading at least 70 lbs/inch. Do you have one?

6. Member
    Belt R&R is just like most autos, relieve tension, remove old belt install new one, however, as Savage pointed out, you will need an inch pound torque wrench to test the tensioner spring.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    I have one. I put my torque wrench in the square peg and torqued it in the direction which takes the pressure off of the belt. Is the torque supposed to read 70 lbs? It only read about 10. If it's supposed to read 70 I guess I should also get a new tensioner and a belt? If replacing the tensioner, do I just need to order a new spring or is it a one piece assembly? I've seen parts for a spring, and for an arm. Thanks
    Last edited by spotfin; 03-31-2024 at 04:37 PM.

8. Member
    No 70 INCH pounds before moving. Not FOOT lbs.

9. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Hello. My Optimax 200 started doing the same thing. # OG789320. Got some emails in to Don. Replaced the belt , which by the way was showing a lower voltage on the gauge when running . Wasn't over 14 volts. Changed fuel filter, spark plugs and checked the coils. got back to the lake and man it was back to her old shelf . Pulled my Pantera 3 right up on plane. Hope that can help. Brian

11. Member
    If tensioner spring doesn't read 70lb in prior to the contacting the physical tensioner stop the spring should be replaced.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Thanks. How can I tell when it contacts the physical tensioner dtop?

13. Member
    If the tensioner doesn't bottom out against the stop, before the torque wrench clicks, or reads 70, then its good.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spotfin View Post
    Thanks. How can I tell when it contacts the physical tensioner dtop?
    It won't move any further.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

15. Member
    +1 contacts stop
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

16. Member
    I got a torque wrench in inch pounds and it looks like my tensioner is putting enough pressure on the belt. I tried putting in the belt but I must have the wrong part cause it is impossible to slip it on , even with the tensioner out of the way. Eagle marine in Martinez CA gave me a quicksilver belt part number 57-828507Q01. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct belt for 200 hp optimax 1999 serial 0G945858?

wrap the belt around all components except the compressor, rotate the tensioner to stop and roll the belt onto the compressor pully, be sure all belt grooves are in the right place, they do go on tight
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member
    p/n is correct, they just tight when new

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    p/n is correct, they just tight when new
    Thanks so much everyone for your very helpful suggestions. I was able to put the belt on this morning. The trick about rolling it over the air compresser was the ticket.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Check the belt and tensioner. Tensioner should have at least 70 lbs/in tension, if belt isn't new or very recently replaced, good idea to do it now.

Then see if you still have a problem- glad to help further if you do.
    I got a new belt and checked the tensioner which was ok. Took boat out this am and worked fine. Drove about 10 min and fished for about half hour. Started boat up and tried to get on plane and same problem. However after second try it acted normal and able to get on plane without it sputtering and not going. I have no confidence in going far from the launch ramp due to problem happening again but this time not as bad. I thought problem might have been loose battery connection and so made sure everything tightened up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Fuel filter is from last year and only has about 5 hours on it. Spark plugs about 15 hrs old and put them in 3 years ago. Engine only has 230 hrs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast