What's he talking about?

I was watching a Backfire video on UTube and he mentioned how he learned at long-range shooting school that bright sunlight is bad for precision shooting but I didn't follow the brief explanation very closely. I gather that overcast conditions or the golden hour at sunrise and sunset is better. Can anyone explain how sunshine effects accuracy (provided it's not shining in your eyes)? I don't think he was talking heat mirage off the ground
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Haven’t seen the vid in question but yes shooting in the middle of the day the mirage can be bad….if your just tryin to hit a 12” plate at 500 yrds it won’t really bother you but at say same 12” plate at 1000 yrds, it can bad to a point. Little example….a few weeks ago I shot a cell phone sized target at 1005 kinda early in the morn but windy …. A few days later playing around with the same target and light/little wind mid day, 5 shots and no hit, close, but it was wayyyy harder to see. You can turn down the magnification to help a bit…
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Haven’t seen the vid in question but yes shooting in the middle of the day the mirage can be bad….if your just tryin to hit a 12” plate at 500 yrds it won’t really bother you but at say same 12” plate at 1000 yrds, it can bad to a point. Little example….a few weeks ago I shot a cell phone sized target at 1005 kinda early in the morn but windy …. A few days later playing around with the same target and light/little wind mid day, 5 shots and no hit, close, but it was wayyyy harder to see. You can turn down the magnification to help a bit…
    Was that heat mirage you were dealing with? I wish I'd saved the vid to watch again. The sunshine wasn't the main point so it wouldn't be in the title. He was sighting in a rifle and mentioned that midday is not the best time to do it. I thought he said it had to do with some direct effect the sunlight has on the scope.
    Last edited by BP in ME; 03-30-2024 at 07:28 AM.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

I'm assuming mirage but also just like fishing with the sun power being lower or behind clouds the wind may be laid down more then the rest of the day

5. Member
    I know good light helps to see the front sight easier. When the sun is on a horizon it can change you point of impact as it makes your eye focus on the left or the right of the front sight instead of the sight as a whole.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I know good light helps to see the front sight easier. When the sun is on a horizon it can change you point of impact as it makes your eye focus on the left or the right of the front sight instead of the sight as a whole.
    That kinda sounds like what he was talking about. Could the same apply to crosshairs?

7. Member
    Ive heard suns high guns high several times. Havent really been able to see if I could tell a difference as I just dont get enough time to shoot and notate differences.