Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    I am disappointed in a lot of the guys there for not addressing the issues at hand. Why would they accept some of the things that are apparently going on? I know its a private company, and know they sign NDA's but the bigger question is why these Pro's that probably could make a living anywhere in the sport sign these type of NDA's and don't support people treated unfairly or demand better when things are clearly not right. If these Pros wouldn't have to fund the bulk of the payouts out of their pockets I could see where they could have no say. If I were putting up 5k and thought things were not right I'd sure say something and wouldn't care about the outcome. All it would take is a handful of those upper pros to question some of these things and I'd bet you would see a change. I actually unfollowed and unsubscribed to their social media stuff as long as they are silent,,not that it matters much to them.
    Guys in BASS complained for years, attempted starting a type of anglers union, and finally had the big exodus when they felt BASS was ignoring them. If you think BASS had no issue with guys complaining, particularly under Ray Scott, you’re wrong.

Guys fishing BASS, MLF, or NPFL don’t have any leverage. If they aren’t happy, they have limited choices. Ish and Bobby Lane decided to fish the EQ’s last year, didn’t qualify. Lane took the “sure thing”, and went back to MLF. Ish is back in the Opens hoping he qualifies, along with several others who aren’t exactly lighting it up so far.

Anyone not happy now knows there’s a few hundred guys willing to risk bankruptcy to take their place. No leverage, they’re replaceable pieces.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgsalot View Post
    So which one do you think is the NFL? Do you really not believe all the stars were with MLF? It's finally starting to balance out thanks to a bunch of young fisherman.
    No doubt MLF took a ton of talent with them and bass had a weak roster for a few years.

Let’s say the NFLPA had a big strike and players started their own league and NFL got replacement players. I would guess that ratings would maybe be equal at best with NFL eventually creating new stars and taking their spot at the top again. Exactly what’s happening with fishing.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I think that you're right. A single pro, alone, doesn't have enough influence to do anything but make waves. But, if the top 5-10 MLF pros got upset, banded together, and demanded a meeting to air their concerns, I'd bet that things would change.
    Jeff, why would MLF make any changes? They don’t have to, those guys have no leverage.

Where are they going to go? NPFL? Gamble on Opens?

If BASS announced tomorrow they were changing rules whether the anglers liked it or not, where would those guys go if they aren’t happy? MLF is full, their only option is NPFL or AAA stuff.

Anglers on both sides are stuck if changes occur and they aren’t happy. They’re all replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Jeff, why would MLF make any changes? They don’t have to, those guys have no leverage.

Where are they going to go? NPFL? Gamble on Opens?

If BASS announced tomorrow they were changing rules whether the anglers liked it or not, where would those guys go if they aren’t happy? MLF is full, their only option is NPFL or AAA stuff.

Anglers on both sides are stuck if changes occur and they aren’t happy. They’re all replaceable.
    I'd bet that if Ott, Casey, Ehler, Evers, Faircloth, Randy Howell, Andy Morgan, Andy Montgomery, Tak, Skeet, and David Walker were to get upset, go together and demand a meeting to sort out what's been going on that Boyd would have no choice but to meet with them and pay attention to their concerns. But, historically, anglers have individually been willing to put up with a lot of nonsense, rather than band together to further their mutual concerns.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Anglers did have a say in off-season in 2022. They made MLF change to a 5 fish as anglers were frustrated. Not saying it's equivalent to this situation but they do have some leverage.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunno View Post
    Anglers did have a say in off-season in 2022. They made MLF change to a 5 fish as anglers were frustrated. Not saying it's equivalent to this situation but they do have some leverage.

*had and it’s obviously been strong armed away.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    No doubt MLF took a ton of talent with them and bass had a weak roster for a few years.

Let’s say the NFLPA had a big strike and players started their own league and NFL got replacement players. I would guess that ratings would maybe be equal at best with NFL eventually creating new stars and taking their spot at the top again. Exactly what’s happening with fishing.
    That didn’t work out very well for the NFL in 1982 when they had a players strike the owners put together some very bad rosters the games sucked and so did the ratings.

The striking players organized their own games that nobody bought tickets too and were just as bad.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgsalot View Post
    So which one do you think is the NFL? Do you really not believe all the stars were with MLF? It's finally starting to balance out thanks to a bunch of young fisherman.
    It’s a rhetorical question. Like in every other sport, in order to be the best….you have to beat the best. For the most part they've never competed against each other so we never know. It’s kind of like debating who is better Jordan or LeBron? I look at it the same way as in there just different eras. Pre MLF era, post MLF era. You can almost throw in eras of electronics now. Pre FFS, Post FFS just like the differences in rules between the Jordan era, and LeBron era. Always an interesting topic though.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigjc00 View Post
    It’s a rhetorical question. Like in every other sport, in order to be the best….you have to beat the best. For the most part they've never competed against each other so we never know. It’s kind of like debating who is better Jordan or LeBron? I look at it the same way as in there just different eras. Pre MLF era, post MLF era. You can almost throw in eras of electronics now. Pre FFS, Post FFS just like the differences in rules between the Jordan era, and LeBron era. Always an interesting topic though.
    Nah the tours didn't have to compete. For a while there and maybe still, the BPT had more bassmaster classic wins than the Bass tour members had. I do think the young ens are making BASS more competitive which is a great thing for both tours. Bottom line both tours need to be successful mainly for the 2nd -3rd levels below are great for working anglers.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122