Mercury Optimax Warning Horn not Sounding

My 2003 optimax 225 on a Nitro 929cdx use to intermittently beep when starting the motor now it does not beep at all making me concerned my other warnings are also not sounding the horn. I tested the horn to ground and it sounded just fine. So it is getting power from the ignition switch but it is not grounding (Measured 12v when turned over). I am not sure where to check next. Is there a place in the motor I can check continuity to the console or a different way to troubleshoot the issue?

2. Member
    Last edited by Lightning 6; 03-29-2024 at 09:48 AM.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (Serial Number) when posting. Thanks!

You should hear the horn sound ONCE when you turn the key on. That is the only warning tone you SHOULD hear.

Tan w/blue stripe wire carries the horn warning from the PCM to the horn.

Check connections between engine and dash (cannon-plug for instance... clean male pins, spread them SLIGHTLY with an exacto knife, reconnect and install the clamp that retains it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Serial number for the motor is 0T666762 and it is mounted on a 929 CDX. I found the linkage between the alarm buzzer and cable coming out of the motor. I only see one single pin connector and then it feeds into a multi pin connector. Should I clean both of those?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- clean the male side especially- and on the round multi-pin, carefully spread the pins with an exacto knife.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks I will do that tomorrow. Should I also clean the on motor connector between the main wire harness and the wire harness that runs out of the motor. Seemed like that one was very stiff and hard to get apart so if I dont have to take it apart but if it is best then I will do it. If so any tips for separating the two cables?

7. Member
    Carefully warm up the connection with a heat gun to aide in separating.

8. Member
    Started checking continuity between the motor plug and the front of the boat and there wasn't any. Worked my way back checking points and isolated the break to between the motor and the boat in the connecting tube. Taking that apart there was a section of the cable harness that had a lump in it and after cutting into the outer layer I found the Blue and tan wire was broken. Soldered it back together and now I get the beep every time turning the motor over!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumo3672 View Post
    Started checking continuity between the motor plug and the front of the boat and there wasn't any. Worked my way back checking points and isolated the break to between the motor and the boat in the connecting tube. Taking that apart there was a section of the cable harness that had a lump in it and after cutting into the outer layer I found the Blue and tan wire was broken. Soldered it back together and now I get the beep every time turning the motor over!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job chasing down the open-circuit!