Anyone had lightening damage to boat, trolling motor, electonics, etc?

Has anyone ever had a lightening strike cause damage to boat? Power surge or static electricity? Not on water but while in sitting outside or in garage?

Thanks for info!!
    Last edited by DylanSam; 03-28-2024 at 02:36 PM.

i heard of one story, but it was not me.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Lost the motherboard on the model before the Fortrex. Spooky stuff, line floating and everything in the boat shocking you.

4. Member
    Nope, one of my best buddies had a tree fall across the middle of his 14' semi-V Sears boat that he got from his Grandpa. Boat was bent in half, sad as we caught a ton of fish out of that boat.

It's been awhile
    But I lost 2 screens at one time. It's what drove me to buy color screens
    Loved the gray scale. It was allot less on the battery drain

It was fishing Erie
    We could see the lightning,

When David Fritts got hit by lighting on the water it knocked out his Eletronic's.

7. Member
    My house, house across the street and next door had a surge come through on the cable line. Took out a few things amongst all of us and fried 1 port on my onboard charger. Melted the inline fuse up pretty bad.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

I had a lightning strike on a tree near the shore melt the fusible link at my alternator.

The battery charger was plugged in at the time.

Fortunately, no other damage, but I didn't realize what had happened until the battery went dead.

9. Member
    The late Kentucky Lake guide, Dave Stewart, a good friend, told me years ago that he had a direct lightning strike to his truck and Ranger bass boat while everything was hitched-up (it fried everything, including his electronics). Caused a huge hassle for him since he guided for a living. I'll never forget his story about a water moccasin dropping out of a tree onto the hood of his riding mower while he was just leisurely cutting the grass.

We had lightning hit our house (chimney) a few years back while the boat on board chargers (two) were plugged in. It fried one of the chargers, but didn't hurt graphs, motors, pumps, or stereo. It also fried one of 3 TV's, one of 2 garage door openers, one of 4 electronic porch lights and the bulb. There was a LOT more it could have hit and could have been worse.
    Lowe Tahiti Deck Boat- Fish, Ski, Lounge- Rain or Shine

11. Member
    seen cars and trucks with lightning damage. had house with it once -- never a boat, yet at least
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    I had my 96 Stratos parked under a metal carport with the on-board charger plugged in. Lightning hit nearby. It killed the battery charger, the cranking battery, the tachometer, and shortly after the power pack went out.

Had the ski boat parked under an all metal covered slip when the dock took a direct hit. The in-dash depth gauge quit working but nothing else.
    Nitro Z8 / 250 Pro XS Optimax

Lightening can do strange things and can be very selective about what it hits and destroys. In my work I had to deal with lightening damage often. But one of the strangest was at my home. It hit a tree, jumped to a chain link fence, ran down the fence and jumped into the heat pump and ran into the house on the electrical wiring. When it hit I was playing a video game with the kids. The lightening ran into the video game controllers (in our hands) and blue stuff (plasma? or whatever you call it) danced in the air. We all threw the controllers down. Strangely, the only damage was to the tree. Heat pump and everything else was ok.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.