Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MLB Opens. Did Ohtani Know?

Shohei Ohtani's contract with deferred payments makes him the highest paid MLB player. He says his interpreter somehow unkbeknown to him gambled away $4.5 million of Ohtani's money.

Question: Do you think he knew this was happening when it was going on?

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/26/12408...is-interpreter

Yes or no?

2. Member
    Yes.
    Hi Mike.

We just have to trust MLB investigators and the media to get this all sorted out.

4. Member
    Investigation is ongoing so at this point it is difficult to give a y or n answer. I will say the story he told the other day is hard to believe.
    Mike Smith

5. Member
    Of course he knew.................

6. Member
    Like one of the guys said on ESPN. We want to believe him but we also wanted to believe Alex Rodriguez and Lance Armstrong when they looked us right in the eyes and said they didn't take PED's. Look how that turned out.

7. Member
    Even with a $700 million contract I'd think he knew where $4.5 MILLION was going.
    Hi Mike.

8. Member
    He more than likely knew about it

9. Member
    I believe he was gambling through his interpreter to make the bets he wanted in hopes of not getting caught.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    He isn’t the first Athlete, Celebrity or business that has lost a lot of money because of a confidant the list is endless.

Just because someone is a rich talented athlete, musician, vocalist or actor doesn’t mean they are smart or always right on top of their finances.

They aren’t accountants and only wealthy because of their athletic or artistic talents. It’s easy to believe a guy who can’t even speak English that devotes most of his time to the talent that makes him wealthy.

Yes

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    We just have to trust MLB investigators and the media to get this all sorted out.
    He is MLB's cash cow. The interpreter will be the one who gets thrown under the bus and anything involving Shohei will be swept under the rug. Too much money in play to blow this thing up.

13. Member
    doesn't really matter either way unless he was betting on baseball

14. Member
    Agree with Hoot. Not only athletes, but many other entertainers and famous individuals who earn that kind of money have either entrusted their finances to a close friend and confidant, or family member, only to find out they have been swindled out of large sums of money. I certainly don't keep a daily (or even weekly) eye on my accounts. I have many other enjoyable and important things to do with my time than worry about that. But if I earned a two comma salary, I probably wouldn't trust anyone with the account access 24/7, except my children.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    doesn't really matter either way unless he was betting on baseball
    Yup. Gambling on sports is legal in the US. Guessing Jordan and Mickelson wager a lot more on sports every year than 4.5 mil.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    He is MLB's cash cow. The interpreter will be the one who gets thrown under the bus and anything involving Shohei will be swept under the rug. Too much money in play to blow this thing up.
    You are probably right. But IMO the guy was making the bets for him. But that is just my opinion.

17. Member
    He knew, or if not better get a lawsuit files ASAP to get his money back and have the guy arrested for embezzlement or some other charge.

18. Member
    Is there a criminal police investigation or just MLB investigation?

19. Member
    From what Ive heard, which could be totally wrong, he was known to throw games and gamble against his team in Japan. Hes already changed his story a couple times on how the money got used or spent all the way up to saying his agent stole 4 million. The fact they are letting him suit up is b.s.when they have other players suspended for misc allegations. Definitely a sour mark on MLB for me. Look what MLB and the Dodgers did to Bauer over allegations, which was Manfreds way to get Bauer out, but now you have this dude and he still gets to play.

20. Member
    Yes I think he knew.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast