Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2024 & Power Pole Charge STILL does not work with Ionic Batteries!

Got my Power Pole Charge & 3 Ionic Lithium TM Batteries in 2021. Still, after all the updates, the Middle Battery will not charge fully. It hovers around 80%. The Middle Battery charges just fine with any other charger.
    SERIOUSLY! What Gives?

2. Member
    I'll give the usual advice. Swap the charger leads with one of the "end" batteries see what happens.

You already know the answer.
    The PP charge is unnecessary with properly sized lithiums. Take it out.

4. Member
    It is not an Ionic problem, it is a PP Charge problem. The issue has been reported many times with other brands as well. So much so that PP recommends using a 36v battery instead of 3x12v batteries.

People sing the praises of PP's customer service, which in terms of their poles/anchors it is probably warranted. When it comes to the Charge, I would not agree.

5. Member
    I don't know anyone personally that has had a power pole charge that didn't have problems with it. I personally run 3-50's and have never seen the need to charge on the run. Even if the batteries were running low I can't imagine anyone makes long enough runs to bring them up enough to make a difference. For the money a charge costs you could just buy bigger lithium's and a quality jumppack for the starting battery and not worry about it.

Yeah, I'm aware it's the Power Pole Charge at fault here. As someone who sits in a given spot for long periods of time, it is handy to have the Trolling Motor batteries send power to my cranking battery. However, if the 36v array never fully charges... FRUSTRATING, not to mention, EXPENSIVE!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adriandavidpayne View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware it's the Power Pole Charge at fault here. As someone who sits in a given spot for long periods of time, it is handy to have the Trolling Motor batteries send power to my cranking battery. However, if the 36v array never fully charges... FRUSTRATING, not to mention, EXPENSIVE!
    might have been drewtick talking about how people are adding a 12V 50AH in parellel with a 125AH starting to add another 50AH to the cranking battery. Might be worth looking into or simply get another standalone battery for electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    might have been drewtick talking about how people are adding a 12V 50AH in parellel with a 125AH starting to add another 50AH to the cranking battery. Might be worth looking into or simply get another standalone battery for electronics.
    Is that possible/compatible?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    I don't know anyone personally that has had a power pole charge that didn't have problems with it. I personally run 3-50's and have never seen the need to charge on the run. Even if the batteries were running low I can't imagine anyone makes long enough runs to bring them up enough to make a difference. For the money a charge costs you could just buy bigger lithium's and a quality jumppack for the starting battery and not worry about it.
    i installed mine a couple of months ago, and it is working flawlessly (knock on wood!). I have an AGM cranking battery with three Tracker 100AH lithiums and the trolling bank stays within a few 10ths.

10. Member
    Is that possible/compatible?
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1257138 read down around post #15

11. Member
    I have had the PP charge for many years. 3 100 Relion for trolling and 1 125 Ionic for starting / electronics. I have never needed to add an additional battery and I run livewells, radio, 16 and 12 Lowrance and 12 inch Garmin with livescope. I do know of a buddy that had issues with his Ionic trolling / PP Charge, but was fixed with an update (never has had an issue again). Good luck getting if figured out.

One of 2 things is reality... 1. I own useless batteries. 2. I own a useless charger. Either way, it's going to hurt a little.

13. Member
    With the new lithium batteries available now, it does almost seem like charge on the run is not necessary. There are some huge lithium cranking batteries now and a couple big 36v trolling batteries should last a couple days before needing charged.

14. Member
    Sending you a PM to try and get a little more information on this concern.

A few recommendations would be to ensure that the two jumper wires don't have loose/bad crimps, tightly connected to the batteries and free of any corrosion or build up on the terminals. Uping the wire size for the jumpers can also help with the balancing of the system and the middle battery.

15. Member
    One of 2 things is reality... 1. I own useless batteries. 2. I own a useless charger. Either way, it's going to hurt a little.

It could be 2 of 2 things...

16. Member
    I’ve had the Charge system since it came out and use it to charge three Ionics for trolling motor and an AGM for ignition. It has worked well for me, but I have been having trouble with the charger working with the APP intermittently.

17. Member
    Power pole laid an egg with this product. Their other stuff is top notch, but the charge is a dud

Quote Originally Posted by rockmike View Post
    I’ve had the Charge system since it came out and use it to charge three Ionics for trolling motor and an AGM for ignition. It has worked well for me, but I have been having trouble with the charger working with the APP intermittently.
    I assume you do not have Ionic Lithiums...

19. Member
    ????????????? The post states 3 ionics batteries
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

20. Member
    I’ve been running a PP Charge with Ionics since 2021. I initially had issues with the middle TM battery power not being balanced.. However, PP recommended I up my jumper cables.i bought 2 gauge cables for my TM jumpers and I’ve never had an issue since.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast