Recommendations for 2-Piece 7’ Northern Pike Rods – Fly In Trip

Going to Canada for a Northern Pike / Walleye fly in trip. Northern Pike are expected in the 35" to 45" class. I need to purchase a couple of 2-piece rods in the 7' range (MH or H) to use for throwing 3/4 oz to 1 1/4 oz baits. Any suggestions?

Pike aren't very finicky, and they hit like a freight train - you don't need a stick with a lot of sensitivity and you'll know when they bite. So multi-piece rods for pike are less of a concern than walleye, where you'll want more sensitivity for finesse bites.
    MH will work for both, H will have less effort reeling pike in. If you don't want to spend a lot, there are some 4-pc casting travel rods on Amazon for less than $50 ea.

I'd look for a good 2 pc MH with a MF action for Walleye. You can land a record pike on it, you just can't horse it.

3. Member
    A few years back I needed a travel rod to take on a remote hunting trip. I looked at the Fenwick HMG and a St. Croix, can't remember which model. Ended up going with the Fenwick as it came with different tips where I could easily change the action (it was a 3 piece rod). I don't know if they still make that one or not, but pretty sure the St. Croix travel rods are still around and I'd look into them both, as they were both very good and reasonably priced (pre-Covid).

4. Member
    I know it's not what the run of the mill angler would recommend but I've used a 7', 2 piece medium action Ugly Stik for the last 20 years on fly-in outpost camps in Ontario for big pike. As mentioned earlier you don't need a super sensitive rod for pike.Caught and landed too many to count northerns over 40" on that rod with 30 lb braid. And it won't break the bank costing about $50. They get banged around on the plane ride in and bouncing in the boat and I've only had 1 break in all that time. Take it for what it's worth but just what works for me. (At $50 you can afford to bring an extra rod just in case)

5. Member
    Thanks for the feedback.

6. Member
    Great rod, awesome price. Get another 20% of use code Jason20
    https://www.piscifun.com/collections...=3733605416983

7. Member
    I just did a fly in trip in Canada last August instead of buying 2 piece rods you might consider buying a hard case rod holder. Or even a piece of pvc pipe and use your 1 piece rods you have now. Take your reels off and put in with your clothes and wouldn't need a very big pvc pipe

Quote Originally Posted by starman971 View Post
    I know it's not what the run of the mill angler would recommend but I've used a 7', 2 piece medium action Ugly Stik for the last 20 years on fly-in outpost camps in Ontario for big pike. As mentioned earlier you don't need a super sensitive rod for pike.Caught and landed too many to count northerns over 40" on that rod with 30 lb braid. And it won't break the bank costing about $50. They get banged around on the plane ride in and bouncing in the boat and I've only had 1 break in all that time. Take it for what it's worth but just what works for me. (At $50 you can afford to bring an extra rod just in case)
    I was also going to suggest an Ugly Stick. I’d buy two MH ones, just in case.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

9. Member
    For trips get cheap rods. Broken or stolen all good. Flipping stick for pike. Look for the old telescoping ones.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I was also going to suggest an Ugly Stick. I’d buy two MH ones, just in case.
    Is there a particular Ugly Stick you recommend? They have several different models.

11. Member
    I’d recommend getting a hard fly case. They sell some that have a larger pouch to accomodate a Spey/fighting butt that’ll work well with a 2 piece rod.

an ugly stick is a great rod choice for a fly in pike trip.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by kyfisherman1 View Post
    Is there a particular Ugly Stick you recommend? They have several different models.
    I haven't looked at Ugly Sticks for years, so I can't recommend a particular model. I don't even know if they offer a two-piece rod. I would definitely get one with a long handle that you can brace against your body when fighting a big pike. If you see a model that you like but it's a one piece, you could always have a rod guy cut it and add a ferrule.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    I used to keep a 6'6" Lightning Rod 2-piece in my vehicle in case I wanted to go fishing after work. It doesn't appear they make a MH spinning any longer, but they do have a 2-piece MH casting rod.

Berkley Lightning Rod Casting Rod | Bass Pro Shops

14. Member
    I don't believe Ugly Stik makes a 2 piece MH rod in either spinning or casting. From my experience a Medium action 7' 2 piece rod (I use spinning rods for Pike) will handle almost any pike you will encounter. I'm not even sure they still make the models I own but the GX2 looks to be the same action and length. Just my opinion, but you really don't need 1 1/4 oz baits for big northerns. The majority of the bigger ones we caught were on white(and/or) chartreuse 1/2 to 3/4 oz tandem spinnerbaits and an F13 original floating rapala in silver/black or gold/black. Good luck and report back how y'all did.

15. Member
    Here's our library of travel rod resources, which includes some 2-piece sticks

https://www.halfpastfirstcast.com/travel-rod-resources