02 Mercury 225 Optimax Fuel/air Issue!

Have a 02 Optimax that won't run because of a fuel air issue. I have 80 lbs fuel and 85 lbs air pressure. Replaced both high and low electric fuel pumps, manual pump, both tracker diaphragms and for diaphragm and also swapped both fuel rails off a running motor still no difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also if release some air pressure off the air valve it will try to start.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This engine would be a 3L model, so I will move it to the 3L Forum for you.

Please take a moment to read the Announcements at the top of that forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

The engine will never run this way.

When you are cranking it, does it take about 15-20 seconds longer for fuel pressure to build, or does it instantly come up with the air pressure?

Make sure there is actually fuel IN the VST. An empty VST will do precisely what you've described.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    It takes a moment to build fuel pressure

4. Member
    Also a lot of air in the fuel

Is the seal in place and good that goes on top of the high-pressure pump that seals it to the vst top for the fuel outlet?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the fuel pressure is not climbing instantly to 10 psi over AIR, you have a HP fuel delivery problem.

Theres a small passage in the HP pump chamber that helps deliver fuel for the HP fuel pump. If this passage is plugged, the HP pump has nothing to deliver and you end up with only pressurized air in the fuel side, perhaps a few drizzles of fuel.

This passage is a straight-shot across the front chamber from a PLUG they installed to access and machine the hole. Only mention this to help you envision where the passage I'm suggesting is located.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor