Thread: move over law

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

move over law

I just saw the starting March 27 the move over law has been expanded to include any vehicle pulled off on the side of the road, i saw it on our local news in NY but it said it goes into effect nation wide, $275 fine and 3 points if caught not following the law

It's a shame it has to be a law. Seems to me it's just common courtesy to not go blasting by 3' from someone on the shoulder at 70+ mph.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

3. Member
    I generally try to move over when possible or at least slow down. Especially if someone is outside the vehicle.

I like the thought behind it but we already have how many laws that aren't enforced?

5. Member
    I try to move over for everyone and I'm good with that but what I see almost everyday is the coneheads that almost cause a wreck by running up to the vehicle on the shoulder then swap lanes regardless if there's another vehicle beside them. Seen too many close calls.

Slowing way down if you just can't change lanes is acceptable here in MS, even if it's a LEO on the side of the road.
    Hi Mike.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    I like the thought behind it but we already have how many laws that aren't enforced?
    Well now 1 more!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

7. Member
    A number of states have expanded the move over law to include just about anything with flashing lights. Like others have said, it shouldn't be needed but here we are.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

8. Member
    Sounds like being done for good reasoning but I bet it will cause more road rage incidents and backups from slowpokes moving over to the power lane and then camping out and not moving back over. Especially in regard to big trucks.

Not always possible to move over in traffic.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Who is the "it" that said it would take effect nationally? States set and enforce the laws on the roads in their state so not sure how this would work.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Especially when many people think it's ok to sit bumper to bumper in the passing lane doing 70-80 mph. Almost impossible to move over at some times.
    1993 Champion 190
    1991 Evinrude Intruder 150

12. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Who is the "it" that said it would take effect nationally? States set and enforce the laws on the roads in their state so not sure how this would work.
    Feds have many laws for interstate highways,, Here in OK the state has many 80mph highways and turnpikes except interstates, feds don't allow it..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

13. Member
    This is a problem for me sometimes. I always have changed lanes if possible. Don’t know if making it a law will actually help anything. I just don’t want to have someone accidentally step in front of me or suddenly try to pull in traffic.

This is one law that I wished that would get enforced and with stupid expensive fines. When working on the interstate people continue to blow by our firetruck with all its flashing lights, the truckers are the worst. Our SOP states we take the lane plus one to create a safe working area. After our rig got hit in the rear a few years back, we have upped that and we now take the lane plus 2. I don't give a happy rats a** if you think your time is more important than our safety.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

I think you are supposed to slow down if you can't move over.

P01135809

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    This is one law that I wished that would get enforced and with stupid expensive fines. When working on the interstate people continue to blow by our firetruck with all its flashing lights, the truckers are the worst. Our SOP states we take the lane plus one to create a safe working area. After our rig got hit in the rear a few years back, we have upped that and we now take the lane plus 2. I don't give a happy rats a** if you think your time is more important than our safety.

Hell we get people driving right through scenes on a regular basis.I feel the same as you do on it as well.

I do every time even if the vehicle looks to be abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    A number of states have expanded the move over law to include just about anything with flashing lights. Like others have said, it shouldn't be needed but here we are.
    Ohio enacted that law a couple years back and set up traps to catch violators within a week or so. A buddy got caught and fined $150.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    I think you are supposed to slow down if you can't move over.
    That we can all do.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

20. Member
    I move over or slow down. If I am driving on a 4 lane road (2 lanes in each direction) and I see a vehicle stopped at an intersection with the road I'm on, I will move to the left lane if possible in case the vehicle is making a right turn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast