Ultrex constantly searching on spot lock?

I have a 45” 112 ultrex ipilot non Link version on my ranger 519 and lately when I turn spot lock on it constantly rotates back and forth and never settles down even in little to no wind, in fact it’s almost worse in calmer conditions. I can hit spot lock and my motor will turn 180 degrees back and forth for a half hour or more while I fish a spot. I made sure my boat scale is set to -2 but it’s gotten to the point it’s frustrating to use spot lock… curious if anyone has experienced this issue and any suggestions to try before calling minnkota. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheels View Post
    I have a 45” 112 ultrex ipilot non Link version on my ranger 519 and lately when I turn spot lock on it constantly rotates back and forth and never settles down even in little to no wind, in fact it’s almost worse in calmer conditions. I can hit spot lock and my motor will turn 180 degrees back and forth for a half hour or more while I fish a spot. I made sure my boat scale is set to -2 but it’s gotten to the point it’s frustrating to use spot lock… curious if anyone has experienced this issue and any suggestions to try before calling minnkota. Thanks in advance!
    Only suggestion I have is to make sure it is paired to the heading sensor, and you re-calibrate it to start.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Check your boat scale on the remote.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Little or no wind screws with it head worse than a high wind.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses guys! I’ll double check that it’s paired and recalibrate next time out and see if that helps. I did double check the scale setting on the remote and it was set to -2 which from what I understand is what it should be at.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheels View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys! I’ll double check that it’s paired and recalibrate next time out and see if that helps. I did double check the scale setting on the remote and it was set to -2 which from what I understand is what it should be at.
    Boat scale can be different for different boats. Factory default is zero. Try it. Your issue often is boat scale related. However, if your boat scale was at -2 previously, and it was working fine, then it may be a different problem.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    On the I pilot Link there is two settings one is legacy and one is advanced ( cannot remember the name off hand ) either GPS or Spot Lock use the legacy setting if I used advance my TM does exactly what you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    On the I pilot Link there is two settings one is legacy and one is advanced ( cannot remember the name off hand ) either GPS or Spot Lock use the legacy setting if I used advance my TM does exactly what you are describing.

From the manual:

AutoPilot has two modes:1. Legacy - This method of heading tracking does not take into account external forces such as a side wind or currents, which can allow side drift.2. Advanced - Advanced AutoPilot not only uses compass heading but also GPS signal data to correct for cross winds, current and other external forces to keep the boat on a straight line.Once it is determined which AutoPilot Mode to operate in, use the following instructions to set it as the default.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    The boat size as well as some other options will reset to default after updates. If you have not checked it lately it may have reverted to ”0”. I have had that happen twice. Might be and it is easy to check. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

10. Member
    Make sure that the Module software is up to date. then use the remote to set the boat scat to zero first then move it to -1. It should improve.
    As stated by some it is very hard for spot lock to work with no wind no matter what boat.