Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Wait till summer when 2025 s redesigned models come out. I'm also in the market

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    If you’re using oil and you don’t see it on the floor you’re burning it in the cylinders like you suspect. That’s not going to get better, and I wouldn’t wait till you’re seeing smoke out the back to do something. Speaking of, have you looked at your tailpipe? Check for any oil or residue there?
    Those engines are notorious for burning oil, has something to do with the crankcase pressure when the AFM kicks in and it pulls it in over the intake. Lots of people put catch cans on to keep the oil from getting burned. I did that on my 2014 and every oil change i would dump at least a cup or more of oil out of the can and this was on an engine that had AFM deleted, not just disabled, when first got the truck and it had AFM enabled i was filling the can every 1500 miles or so.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I was not aware this is a common issue with the 24 GMC 3/4 ton diesel. My manager at work bought a new 24 mid to late summer last year. I remember him saying at 1500 miles he had to get it towed to the dealer. I overheard him say the other day it’s been at the dealership 3 times since he got it and he has had it less than 9 months. I’m pretty sure he said it was a computer issue and he is trying to get the computer replaced. If my memory is correct the computer is saying there is something wrong with the emissions or the way it’s burning fuel. When the computer senses a problem he said it goes into it in limp mode. It’s my understanding it’s limiting his rpm’s to a very low number. Again I don’t know his exact details. I do know he’s pretty upset dropping 90k and it being in the shop 3 times for the same issue.

I have a 24 3500 and i was not aware of any common issued with it. Mine just rolled 15k the other day and its had no issues to date with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Phoenix55 View Post
    Wait till summer when 2025 s redesigned models come out. I'm also in the market
    Never and I mean NEVER buy a first year newly redesigned model of any brand unless you want to be the guinea pig for them to work out all the problems first.

5. Member
    my daughter had a 2009 chevy tahoe that i am thinking it had the 5.3 engine. it had 40,000 miles on it when she bought it. at 2000 miles it would be over a quart low. if she let it go to 5000 miles it would be close to 2 1/2 quarts low. personel from chevy at detroit told her that using 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles was acceptable. she loved the vehicle and kept it until the mileage hit 150,000 miles. the tahoe is still running every day with close to 175,000 miles on it. they just add oil between the oil changes. some of these engines are notorious for using oil.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

6. Member
    It sucks having a problem with any new(er) vehicle.....that's why we spend the money to buy new to avoid issues. Sorry to hear about your issues Rodney. Hope your next one is better to you
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

7. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I had one Ford, never again GM has been good to me. I might consider a Dodge, well the price would have to be great though..
    25% off new Ram 2500s right now.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

8. Member
    Over the years I’ve had 3 new Ford Trucks and 3 new GM. Way less issues with GM. Ford seats are better. The 2014 5.3 started burning oil at 50,000 miles. Traded in for a 2500 and couldn’t be happier

A relatively new vehicle should not be burning oil and you shouldn't have to add any in between oil changes.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie Poke View Post
    A relatively new vehicle should not be burning oil and you shouldn't have to add any in between oil changes.
    Thats what i am thinking. I asked at the dealer yesterday this same question, she said one to 1 1/2 quarts is acceptable on the 6.2.

11. Member
    I recently traded an ‘07 Ford F-150 with the Triton 5.4 (yikes, right). It had 120K of easy driving-I’m not rough on my vehicles or boats. It had only recently began to burn just a little oil between oil changes. I replaced it with a ‘23 F-150 with the V6 turbo and couldn’t be happier.

You sure it wasn't two quarts low since the last oil change?

13. Member
    GM will tell you 1 QT every 1000 is normal due to aluminum parts and close tolerances.....Or tell the wife you want one for your anniversary

A lot of the oil burning issues stem from the use of low tension piston rings. High tension oil control rings keep oil consumption in check but at the price of higher friction which negatively affects fuel economy so as much as I like to beat up on GM the reality is that their hand was somewhat forced by the feds with their "not based in reality" mileage standards. Most of the manufacturers today are dealing with increased oil consumption.... lower viscosity oils coupled with low tension oil control rings is not a good combination.
    Ranting incoherently

15. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    No flippin way I’d buy any of the big 3 unless I absolutely had to have a 3/4 ton because of pulling heavy loads or hauling heavy loads. There is no bassboat made that requires a 3/4 ton gas or diesel truck. None.

I’ve got a 2016 GMC 1500 that require a new engine at 65k and a new transmission at 100k. Paid 4k for extended warranty and the repairs came to 12,895 when done. I was out 4k.

Get yourself a tundra and be done with it. No dodge, no ford no GM- get a Toyota!!

someone will say yeah I’ve heard of problems with them. But I’d bet anything there isn’t nearly the issues that any of the big 3 have. I’ve heard of 2 5.7 tundras go over 1 million miles and countless over 300k. Try that with any of the big 3. Ain’t gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I feel like all the big block gas engines eventually eat oil. No matter the brand.
    The last big block was like 2007 so they probably burn oil by now
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    I’ve heard of 2 5.7 tundras go over 1 million miles and countless over 300k. Try that with any of the big 3. Ain’t gonna happen.
    Million mile powerstroke.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39597/when-a-6-7l-ford-super-duty-hits-1-3-million-miles-in-8-years-take-notes

People buy diesels for longevity and re-sell. Plus they’re just fun bad ass trucks. The newest high output Powerstroke does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Tell me that won’t put a smile on your face.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    The last big block was like 2007 so they probably burn oil by now
    What is the gas 6.6 or 7.3 considered if not a big block

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Million mile powerstroke.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39597/when-a-6-7l-ford-super-duty-hits-1-3-million-miles-in-8-years-take-notes

People buy diesels for longevity and re-sell. Plus they’re just fun bad ass trucks. The newest high output Powerstroke does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Tell me that won’t put a smile on your face.
    big difference between a 1 ton diesel and a 1/2 ton gas truck. Might as well compare that power stroke to a peterbuilt, it’s essentially the comparison you’re trying to give. Obviously a diesel engine lasts longer.

If I was the OP and money wasn’t an issue, I’d only be looking at Tundras.

We’re passively looking at mid sized SUVs for when our Durango is paid off in a couple months. An SUV suits us more. Our first choices are Toyota 4Runners (have only found 1 in our price range thats newer than 6 years old), highlanders (if we can ever find one with a tow package), Jeep GC, Wrangler Rubicons, Honda Pilots, Subaru Ascents , Ford Explorers and Chevy Traverses. If all things equal and everything was the same price/mileage, Ford and a Chevy wouldn’t even be in the conversation.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    No flippin way I’d buy any of the big 3 unless I absolutely had to have a 3/4 ton because of pulling heavy loads or hauling heavy loads. There is no bassboat made that requires a 3/4 ton gas or diesel truck. None.

I’ve got a 2016 GMC 1500 that require a new engine at 65k and a new transmission at 100k. Paid 4k for extended warranty and the repairs came to 12,895 when done. I was out 4k.

Get yourself a tundra and be done with it. No dodge, no ford no GM- get a Toyota!!

someone will say yeah I’ve heard of problems with them. But I’d bet anything there isn’t nearly the issues that any of the big 3 have. I’ve heard of 2 5.7 tundras go over 1 million miles and countless over 300k. Try that with any of the big 3. Ain’t gonna happen.
    Blah blah blah....367k on a 5.3 2009 Avalanche when I sold it last year....never had a lick of engine issues with it...only a fuel pump and a wheel bearing.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast