Motorguide Tour Pro w/pinpoint

I know the Pro is a love it or hate it unit but I figured that I would pass a little bit of information on to those that work on their own stuff.

My MG started acting up (power steering not working right and locking up in some spots) and had some excessive play in the head. So I pulled it apart last week, and for one of the transmission mounting screws completely out and the other two almost out. Tightened up those with some lock tight but still wasn't right so I pulled the cover on the transmission. Found two of the main gears with missing teeth and the two screws holding the center gear loose.

Now motorguide only sells the gears for the pro as a assembly (the transmission) for $360-400. But (for me) the two broken gears are the exact same ones in the kit for the XI5 and that is $59 bucks. Installed and did all the calibrations and works great now.

Customer service did send me a few screenshots of how to align some of the gears so if someone needs any part numbers or the pictures from MG let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smoken86; 03-26-2024 at 05:58 PM.

2. Member
    Good information. I had a couple loose screws in mine a while back but no other problems. Fishing shallow this spring I have hit a few things. I might order a gear set just incase.

3. Member
    Just so you are aware these are the 2 that are the same (I had one pulled when I took the picture). They were the two with damage on mine. The small black one on the motor "may" be the same as well but I didn't match it up while I have it apart and it was damage free so yeah.

The larger one you reuse the center section.
    Attached Images Attached Images