Thread: History repeats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

History repeats

Kentucky Lake 2012

Baltimore MD 2024

The Skyway bridge 1980 as well.......

Screenshot_20240326_084636_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Last edited by blade1970; 03-26-2024 at 07:48 AM.

3. Member
    Last edited by Rider99XX; 03-26-2024 at 07:56 AM.
    Hi Mike.

4. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    BIG difference between the MD and the KY incidents.

I remember the Skyway, that was incredibly sad.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

There local pilots not the Boat Captain
    But some thing does need to be done. Maybe GPS beacons on the pilings marking the Hazard?

6. Member
    It's an easy solution. Any bridge subject to a ship strike should have protective impact barriers. Not a big deal to add vertical cement columns not attached to the bridge around it.

7. Member
    What happens when a ship hits those concrete columns and damages one?
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    Then bridge is still in place. There's still a damaged to deal with but better just the ship instead of a busted ship and a busted bridge. Then you replace the column. Just like bollards at a gas station or guardrail on the highway.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    It's an easy solution. Any bridge subject to a ship strike should have protective impact barriers. Not a big deal to add vertical cement columns not attached to the bridge around it.
    I am surprised there isn’t something like this already in use. I live along the Ohio river and Barges pass under our bridges all the time. There is nothing protecting the bridge.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    I am surprised there isn’t something like this already in use. I live along the Ohio river and Barges pass under our bridges all the time. There is nothing protecting the bridge.
    Same in Vicksburg MS, the bridge over the Mississippi River has zero protection for the columns. Barges hit them regularly.
    Hi Mike.

11. Member
    Prayers for those effected by this terrible accident.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    Did you seriously just ask this question?

13. Member
    There are two large bridges I traverse over a couple middle size rivers and both look amazingly like the one in Baltimore. They are both rusty and rickety at best. One is slated to be replaced in the next couple of years and the other is constantly being worked on. Prayers for those in Baltimore and pray they recover fully.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    I remember the Skyway, that was incredibly sad.
    +1

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    Thats what i dont understand. The big bridges here have protective barriers around them. Seems it would be mandatory anywhere a big ship could do that

16. Member
    The I-40 collapse in OK happened during a large team tourney. About a dozen tournaments boats close by turned into rescue boats in a instant.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadYakker View Post
    Did you seriously just ask this question?
    I did.
    Hi Mike.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    The I-40 collapse in OK happened during a large team tourney. About a dozen tournaments boats close by turned into rescue boats in a instant.
    I was at that tournament, but wasn't nearby the scene of the accident. There were quite a few deaths in that one as the gap in the bridge was unable to be seen from the E. Bound side until you were heading in the river. Kirk Washburn was one of the anglers fishing nearby and was able to fire a flare which hit the windshield of an e. bound ABF truck. He was able to block traffic - otherwise there would've undoubtedly been more fatalities.

-b-

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzbrent View Post
    I was at that tournament, but wasn't nearby the scene of the accident. There were quite a few deaths in that one as the gap in the bridge was unable to be seen from the E. Bound side until you were heading in the river. Kirk Washburn was one of the anglers fishing nearby and was able to fire a flare which hit the windshield of an e. bound ABF truck. He was able to block traffic - otherwise there would've undoubtedly been more fatalities.

-b-
    He probably saved a bunch of lives.
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    A couple years ago, a barge broke loose and ran into a column of the bridge between East Liverpool, Ohio and Chester, WV. They closed the bridge for several days while an inspection was done. This last fall, they closed it again for inspection when cracks were spotted in the steel. Apparently, this bridge and a few others on the Ohio were made of steel that has since been classified as "suspect" and regular inspections are now required.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast