Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I like the change - way too many players have suffered serious injuries from this technique.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    This rule is going to suck. The funny thing is this style of tackle became far more common when they started enforcing getting the helmet out of the tackle.
    There was on average one hip drop tackle a game that would be flagged by this. This is a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I like the change - way too many players have suffered serious injuries from this technique.

I agree.

4. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Funny. We are so soft
    we???? who do you play for??

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I bet very few people could hold up to an NFL LB, defense lineman defensive back hitting you at full game speed. Would probably change some opinions about them being soft.
    We would wake up in the emergency room!

6. Member
    I'm really surprised it was voted in. I thought they were just floating a trial balloon. As far as it being a good rule or whether players are getting soft, etc. I think the wrong people voted on it. Whether it's good, bad, dangerous or not should have been decided by the players. The owners looking at it from a financial decision on protecting their investments is not the way it should have been handled IMO
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I'm really surprised it was voted in. I thought they were just floating a trial balloon. As far as it being a good rule or whether players are getting soft, etc. I think the wrong people voted on it. Whether it's good, bad, dangerous or not should have been decided by the players. The owners looking at it from a financial decision on protecting their investments is not the way it should have been handled IMO
    Banning the hip drop tackle isn't soft at all. It is just going to require players to wrap and drive through the ball carrier instead of whipping their weight around and landing on their legs.

The physicality should increase because of this rule. Even then, this type of tackle happened once a game. Nobody will notice.

Can't wait to hear the discussion about changing the kickoff.

8. Member
    Unfortunately the NFL is forcing DBs to shoot low on all tackles. I fear there are going to be more lower leg, ankle and knee injuries. I see more shoulder to knee hits.
    Brad Krone

9. Member
    I thought a tackle store was closing!
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

10. Member
    So what happens when a defensive player dives to make a tackle and upon intact the defensive players lower torso wraps around behind the ball carrier. What about when the defensive player just jumps from behind the ball carrier and lands on top of the ball carriers legs.
    I guess you just let the offense score a TD now. I’m all for a players safety, spearing, horse collars, illegal use of hands to the face/head. Something’s shouldn’t be allowed. But honestly football is a rough game. Everybody that plays or has played understand or should understand there is risks. Because players have always gotten injured it’s a chance you take

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kailor View Post
    I thought a tackle store was closing!
    lmao
    Brad Krone

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt1down View Post
    So what happens when a defensive player dives to make a tackle and upon intact the defensive players lower torso wraps around behind the ball carrier.
    Stop tackling like a idiot. Don't dive. Wrap and drive. Keep the legs moving and run through the guy. This rule change should lead to more physical tackles. Which everyone wants to see. Hip drop tackles were always stupid. Vontaze Burfict lived by them and would take plenty of players out. Most notably when he shredded Leveon Bell's knee.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Banning the hip drop tackle isn't soft at all. It is just going to require players to wrap and drive through the ball carrier instead of whipping their weight around and landing on their legs.

The physicality should increase because of this rule. Even then, this type of tackle happened once a game. Nobody will notice.

Can't wait to hear the discussion about changing the kickoff.
    I guess we'll have to see how it plays out next year. BTW I make no argument about players or the game getting soft. I think this joins the list of some very difficult, subjective rules developed in recent years to protect QB's, receivers, etc. that make it much more challenging for officials to call a game correctly. We've all seen some of the ridiculous "roughing the passer" calls made by certain crews and trying to eliminate spearing while keeping in mind that players are attempting to put a shoulder pad (which is not far from the helmet) on a moving target.

If it only happens once a game on average, and only a relatively small percentage of drop tackles result in injuries, then why is it an issue requiring a new rule at all? As a casual viewer, it's much more common to see a player injured when they get wrapped around the knees from behind and the defender lands on the feet. A lot of feet and ankles get crunched that way.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12