Pro XS 150 Temps at Idle

I have a 2012 ProXS 150 (Serial# 1B934681). What should the operating temperature range be at idle, and a fast idle graphing at about 4 mph?

In gear at idle speed my smartcraft gauge shows mid 140’s to mid 150’s and I can watch the temp go up and down as the thermostats cycle. But if I add some throttle to speed up to 4-5 mph (not sure on the rpms’s) the temp will start rising into the 160’s and 170’s. If I let off and slow down the temp will drop back to 140-150 range. If I speed up faster the temp will also drop. No alarms.

Is this normal? I typically leave the gauge on temp or water pressure and don’t remember it going that high. Water pressure seems normal 1-3 psi at idle and 14-15 psi at WOT.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    143 +/- 15 degrees F is the thermostatic temp. Should reach at least 120 at idle (most hit 143-ish).

Water pump impeller and all gaskets should be replaced ANNUALLY (364.99 days). Notorious for blowing out the gasket under the impeller plate which will cause precisely the symptoms you describe.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Agree with Don on possibility of that 3rd gasket being damaged. I get uneasy if mine gets to 160° at idle speeds, if yours routinely gets to 160° - 170° you might also check your poppet.

"How to" 2.5L water pump service - Water Pump Replacement
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    ^^^ +1 also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................