Question Ultrex iPilot - Question about trolling motor depth and battery usage

Hi all,

I have a minn kota ultrex 36v 112lb 45" ipilot link mounted on my Nitro Z17. I was curious if the trolling motor should extend past the bottom of the boat when deployed, even with the bottom of the boat, or even a couple inches shorter than the bottom of the boat? I'm trying to figure out what everyone else is doing and how to protect it better since it does have the built in Mega SI and DI transducer. I'm new to all of this, but it seems like it would make more sense to get a more accurate depth reading and even protect it more if the prop was even w/ the bottom of the boat, but again I'm new to all of this.

Also, with this particular trolling motor, is there a way to know how much it has drained from the batteries after a day out on the water. I've heard of people saying things like I only used about 30% of my batteries today and I was curious how they know that?

Finally, does anyone have a Mega 360 mounted to theirs? I put it on the water for the first time yesterday and I noticed while in spot lock that the shaft adjustment knob kept wanting to tangle up my 360 wiring, which sucked b/c I had to keep a close eye on that. Curious to see how you ran the cables if you do. I definitely need to adjust mine.

Thanks for any insights!
    Last edited by csilvey24; 03-25-2024 at 12:22 PM.

2. Member
    I was giving this some more thought. I'm guessing it is better to have it at least a foot or maybe two below the hull of the boat so the Mega 360 and the built in Mega SI & DI all has a clear view around the bottom of the boat. Do you agree?

3. Member
    With the 45" run the shaft down so about 1.5"-2" of shaft shows above locking collar.

I presume you have the Ultrex M360 mount as I do. If so, just come across the steering module from the cable harness to the 360 that is mounted on port side of TM. There is an unused threaded hole there that I use for a cable clamp.

Don't attach the 360 cables to anything on the rotating side.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    With the 45" run the shaft down so about 1.5"-2" of shaft shows above locking collar.

I presume you have the Ultrex M360 mount as I do. If so, just come across the steering module from the cable harness to the 360 that is mounted on port side of TM. There is an unused threaded hole there that I use for a cable clamp.

Thanks so much! You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your wiring that you could share would you? I do have the Ultrex mount as well for the M360.
    2021 Nitro Z17 Pro XS CT 115hp
    Bow Displays
    : HDS Live & Humminbird Helix mounted to the BBT mount and gimbals
    Trolling Motor & Accessories: Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot w/ built in Down & Side Imaging transducer, Mega 360 Imaging, & Active Target 2 (AT2)
    Console Displays: HDS Live w/ the 3-in-1 transducer
    Mapping: LakeMaster VX & Navionics

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post

Hi blkfalc4,

I took your idea and pretty much did it that way w/ just a slight change. I zip tied it in two places on the bracket instead of just the one. It worked out great, thank you! Below are some pics on how I did it for anyone else looking for a clean solution for this setup. The lighting isn't that great but you should be able to still see how I ran it.

IMG_0803-2.jpeg

IMG_0802-2.jpeg
    2021 Nitro Z17 Pro XS CT 115hp
    Bow Displays
    : HDS Live & Humminbird Helix mounted to the BBT mount and gimbals
    Trolling Motor & Accessories: Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot w/ built in Down & Side Imaging transducer, Mega 360 Imaging, & Active Target 2 (AT2)
    Console Displays: HDS Live w/ the 3-in-1 transducer
    Mapping: LakeMaster VX & Navionics

6. Member
    Be careful when deploying the motor. Look like the cables could get stuck in the steering motor mount and the aluminum mount, effectively slicing the wires.

I'll try and get a pic or 2 up soon. I don't have any atm showing what your looking for.
    Mike

7. Member
    I run a troller just deep enough that it does not cavitate or come out of the water with average waves. It does not need to be below the back of the hull to work correctly because of the shape of the front of the hull. To know true battery capacity you need a battery usage monitor [shunt] or a very accurate volt meter [and that only gets you close] but it has always worked for me to test at the battery, no load at rest. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

8. Member
    20240407_120048.jpg

Finally got around to taking a pic of it.
    Mike