Water coming into bilge from vent

Just curious if there is a way to keep water from coming in from the chrome bilge vent that is on the back of the boat. I have a 2018 Pantera Classic and get some wash when coming off plane or back away from the trailer and water comes in through the vent and into the bilge. I’m not concerned about the water in the bilge because I know where it’s coming from, it’s not a whole lot and the bilge pump takes care of it, but where the corrugated pipe drains to, is near the electrical buss in the back as well as onto the shelf where my powerpole pumps and cranking battery are located.

2. Member

It’s possible to insert a small check valve, though we honestly haven’t heard of this of confirmed it during our use of this model.

I have always had a little bit of water come in as well and its always on drivers side when fishing solo.... it seemed worse with full livewells so I checked livewells and pumps for leaks but nothing.

you are right it is coming in as backwash via that vent when coming off plane or fishing in big water.

I may try turning my vent so it faces forward to avoid this. mine is also a 2018 Pantera classic.

with lithium batteries now it is not as bad (boat sits higher)
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

5. Member
    Are you giving it a little throttle as it settles down right at the end? Timing is everything?
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

6. Member
    Yes. I look back and feather it down. It helps for sure rather than just cutting the throttle. It’s not a huge deal cause I know where the water is coming in from and don’t have any leaks otherwise, it’s just a little concerning that where the corrugated vent pipe dumps the water, is right next to the electrical buss back there and on the shelf where my powerpole pumps and cranking battery is located. All those screws are sealed and all that good stuff, but I’d rather not have water there if I can help it.

I thought about trying to get a piece of rubber or something and making a “flapper” kind of like a check valve. But I don’t know if it would seal off good enough to help, or would “flap” enough to let it vent like it’s intended.
    Last edited by BenR; 04-01-2024 at 06:55 PM.

7. Member
    It's a boat, I have never seen one that didn't get a little water now and then.