1999 Ranger 492VS Prop Recommendation?

I am running a 24 pitch Tempest plus and have been for years at the recommendation of a fellow BBC'r. 225Vmax Yamaha. Hole shot is excellent. Best top end I could ever get with light fuel and just me in the boat was 62 mph at about 5500-5600 rpm. I added poles, lithium batteries, and two 12-inch graphs up front and with tournament load am only in the 50-55 mph range. Is another prop going to get me any more top end speed? Seems like I do not get much bow lift, although I will admit I carry about 30-40 rods in the lockers and a lot of tackle in the front compartment. Live with it or try another prop? I do not fish that many tournaments anymore but it would be nice to have a little more speed (65 mph?) when I want it.

Reason I ask is I ran into a guy at the ramp on Caney Creek who had a 96 or 97 492 with a Merc 225 and he said he was getting 70 mph with I believe a 26 pitch tempest plus prop.

Move as much tackle to the back that you can
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Member
    You have removed 100+ lbs from the rear while adding weight to the front, both are horrible for performance. Not to mention you only have a 225 hp on a 21 foot hull that isn't designed to be fast to begin with. You can try a 23p Yamaha T2 or Solas Scorpion to get your bow lift back or mabe try a Bravo 4 blade, I doubt you will ever see 65MPH with that setup but 60-62 should be attainable.

4. Member
    Ok, thanks. With the addition of the poles (Raptors) the weight in the back is equal to what I had back there with the three lead acid batteries. I have done the math. I do have a lot of weight in the very front including the two graphs and a heavy Ultrex TM. Just wondering how someone with a 225 Merc is getting 70. Maybe he meant towing it on the highway. I’ve never seen 70 even when I didn’t have all the stuff I have now. I’ve had this boat since 2001. I get it most Rangers are lead sleds but they are a fine fishing platform.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 03-25-2024 at 03:08 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amistad Tackle View Post
    Ok, thanks. With the addition of the poles (Raptors) the weight in the back is equal to what I had back there with the three lead acid batteries. I have done the math. I do have a lot of weight in the very front including the two graphs and a heavy Ultrex TM. Just wondering how someone with a 225 Merc is getting 70. Maybe he meant towing it on the highway. I’ve never seen 70 even when I didn’t have all the stuff I have now. I’ve had this boat since 2001. I get it most Rangers are lead sleds but they are a fine fishing platform.
    Tell him to show you a video of him hitting 70 on the GPS.