Banned

Northern California Shed Hunter Attacked And Killed By Mountain Lion

If they aren't hunted this is what will happen.

3. Member
    I would not leave the yard without a gun if there were any here. Supposed not to be any according to F&G officials.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    I would not leave the yard without a gun if there were any here…
    same in Chicago.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    If they aren't hunted this is what will happen.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

6. Member
    I this is true, those wardens were total bone heads, since this is what the article says, "Minutes later, deputies saw a crouched mountain lion next to the older brother on the ground, according to the statement. They fired their guns and scared off the mountain lion, but the older brother was deceased. Wardens with California’s Department of Fish and Wildlife are searching for the mountain lion."

Why did they not shot the lion in the first place?, now you have a mountain lion that has tasted blood out there with potential to kill again, and they need to find it. I reckon doing things backwards must be the Californico model.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    I this is true, those wardens were total bone heads, since this is what the article says, "Minutes later, deputies saw a crouched mountain lion next to the older brother on the ground, according to the statement. They fired their guns and scared off the mountain lion, but the older brother was deceased. Wardens with California’s Department of Fish and Wildlife are searching for the mountain lion."

Why did they not shot the lion in the first place?, now you have a mountain lion that has tasted blood out there with potential to kill again, and they need to find it. I reckon doing things backwards must be the Californico model.
    Yup that animal should have been put down.

they might have thought it was too close to the victim, not knowing he was already dead.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The animal is dead. Maybe initially the focus was on treating the victim and not taking the chance of missing the cougar and shooting the victim.

10. Member
    Lots of them around here.Never felt threatened enough to carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post

I think the reporting entity knows their audience, and how they phrase the story is important.

Guns are scary. That's why the officers used guns to scare off the cat.

If they had used phrasing that the officers had shot the cat dead, there would have been a huge uproar about killing an innocent wild animal without knowing if the hikers had done something wrong.

12. Member
    Its unfortunate the the guy is dead but is it really different than any other death by an animal. Dogs, cats, etc etc. Probably a bird attack at some point somewhere.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Its unfortunate the the guy is dead but is it really different than any other death by an animal. Dogs, cats, etc etc. Probably a bird attack at some point somewhere.
    30-50 deaths each year in the U.S. due to dog attacks.

14. Member
    It's the first fatal lion attack in 20 years... No need to panic and start killing them. You're more likely to get killed by your own dog.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

15. Member
    Watch out for those killer cows also! https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/co...e-than-sharks/

16. Member
    I remember a mountain lion attacking someone at a local state park. No one was serious injured that I recall. The mountain lion was killed by a game warden I believe. There were a few people complaining because the big cat was killed.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    It's the first fatal lion attack in 20 years... No need to panic and start killing them. You're more likely to get killed by your own dog.
    Exactly.

18. Banned
    I've come across mountain lions while deer hunting numerous times and never had to fire a shot. Having said that, I've read some interesting things about the correlation between animal attacks and earthquakes. Being this attack was in California, made me ponder that maybe the big one is on its way?

19. Member
    Feel terrible for their family and friends. They need to allow a limited draw hunting season on the big cats. We have 3 that spend some time in our neighborhood as they go through their overlapping territory, and they're so comfortable now you'll even see them during the daylight sometimes. When a predator has no fear of man (no hunting), at least some of them will get the impression we're a potential food source as opposed to being something that should be feared. Interesting read if you're interested. https://www.amazon.com/Beast-Garden-.../dp/0393326349

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Lots of them around here.Never felt threatened enough to carry a gun.
    Until that time you do, then wish you had it.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS