Questions on Installing New Calipers

I did a dumb thing...When re-packing my wheel bearings I could tell that one of my calipers was locked up and the other wasn't looking too good. Stupidly, I made the decision that since they weren't working anyway, to just leave the calipers off and order some new ones and head to the lake the next day. Along the way, I noticed that brake fluid was leaking from the open brake line. On the way home, the actuator, now empty of fluid is slamming back and forth whenever I would stop or take off. Lesson learned. Boat parked until new calipers, pins, and pads arrive, which was yesterday.

Considering the empty brakes lines, should there be some extra procedures I need to do purge them prior to putting the calipers on?

The main reason I didn't want to put the calipers back on is the problem with the lower slider pin. It is jammed between the caliper and the spring bracket. It is the hardest part of doing a bearing service. I'm wondering if I can spin the backing plate to let me install the calipers in the 12 o'clock position instead of the 9 o'clock position they came from the factory in.

I've already got the slider pin grease and red Loctite. Besides fresh DOT 3 brake fluid is there anything else I should pick up at the parts store?

Any advice on this project will be appreciated. Probably start on it tomorrow when there's no basketball or Classic on TV.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

. You can try putting some fluid in the calipers if you want but when I did mine I just mounted them then filled the master and bled them and then bled some more. If you don’t have a pressure bleeder it’s a little bit of work. You’ll use more fluid than you think you will

Quote Originally Posted by champ223 View Post
    . You can try putting some fluid in the calipers if you want but when I did mine I just mounted them then filled the master and bled them and then bled some more. If you don’t have a pressure bleeder it’s a little bit of work. You’ll use more fluid than you think you will
    I have one of those trigger gun type vacuum pumps with a catch bottle. Should work okay. I learned the last time that the success of this job is very dependent on the attention span of the person with the bottle of brake fluid monitoring the fluid level of the master cylinder.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I have one of those trigger gun type vacuum pumps with a catch bottle. Should work okay. I learned the last time that the success of this job is very dependent on the attention span of the person with the bottle of brake fluid monitoring the fluid level of the master cylinder.
    you got that right!! I’m guilty of it myself.let that thing run out during bleeding

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    When I bled my system, I removed the filler cap and tightly inserted a tapered funnel. You can put a pint or more in the funnel and it doesn't leak. Just bleed it until it is to the level of the top of the master cylinder.

6. Member
    blue loctite better not as strong gravity will bleed it mostly but I used a 2x4 to move the tongue in and out while working the bleeder screws son helped at the front
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I was curious what everyone's thoughts are about relocating the caliper to the top or 12 o'clock position. From the factory they came mounted on the trailing or 3 & 9 o'clock position. It makes getting the lower slider pin back in place a real P I A. I'm not even sure this is possible in my situation but wondering if anyone else ever did this.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Make sure you bleed those lines out really well. If you had open lines when backing your trailer into the water, I'm sure you got water in the empty lines to some extent.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

9. Member
    !!!!DON'T USE RED LOCTITE!!! Use blue!

John

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    !!!!DON'T USE RED LOCTITE!!! Use blue!

John

11. Member
    You can locate calipers at the 9, 12, or 3 o’clock position. This is often done when damage to the axle’s caliper bracket suffers damage. If you do, you might need to change the position of the banjo bolt/ brake line.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC