Shimano Curado DC review and recommendations

I just ordered some Loomis rods and I'm looking into trying out some Shimano reels. I have tatula sv tw's and tatula elites as well as some zillions and I do like them but looking for comparisons and recommendations in the Shimano field. I have seen some mixed stuff on the curado DC and that it's more for beginners than experienced anglers. All recommendations are appreciated!

I don't like my DC 150 very much. It's the most backlashing reel I own. I've set it up just the way it's supposed to be and still it woofs up at the most unpredictable times. I just cut my last spool of Invizx line out of it...one more time and I'm selling it. It's also very difficult to impossible (not sure) to remove the spool bearings for clean & lube. It's the reel that made me switch to Daiwa.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    DC is a different technology. If it were for all purposes, that's the only kind of reel Shimano would produce. They do not. DC reels are ideal for throwing baits in tough conditions: Long distances, in wind or for large, wind resistant baits that don't weigh much. DC reels use a micro computer. That computer has to be powered and there are no batteries. The power comes from the rotation of the spool on the first cast, so you have to be carafeful of that first cast. I use them for spinnerbaits, vibrating jigs, crankbaits and jerkbaits. For those applications they are tough to beat.

4. Member
    I have Curado DC's and Scorpion DC's and I usually reach for one of my Tatulas or Zillions when I'm on the water if that tells you anything I just really don't care for the DC reels that much but I will say the Scorpion is the better of the two DC's if you want to try one

5. Member
    I like my Curado DC 150
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

6. Member
    Get the scorpion dc if you can have to order it from Japan. Better DC breaking system DC5 where the SLX and Curado have DC4 easily the best DC other then the Metanium, Exsense or Antreas

7. Member
    Scorpion DC5 system blows the doors off of the Curado DC4
    They are great for bombing spinnerbaits , chatterbaits , really any of your moving baits that you want to bomb cast.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

8. Member
    Sold my Shimano DC’s and went all Daiwa Tats.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one who isn't lovin' the Curado DC. I thought I was doing something wrong.

I read on another forum where someone suggested jut putting it on 1 or 2 and adjusting the cast control knob to the weight of the bait, just like any other reel. I haven't tried that yet but will next time I fish with it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

The biggest issue with the sea reels is that they are not adjusted like a standard bait caster, and most people don’t take the time to read the instructions how to properly adjust them. For one you never use the spool tension knob after you initially set it, which is where most issues come in. One set the spool tensioner so there’s a pinch of play or less left to right. No more than 1/16 inch. Set the DC to 1. Make a cast if you need more attention set the dial to 2, so on and so on. Using this potential knob, only defeats the purpose of the DC unit and can make the reel a pain to use. Try it you might be surprised. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    The biggest issue with the sea reels is that they are not adjusted like a standard bait caster, and most people don’t take the time to read the instructions how to properly adjust them. For one you never use the spool tension knob after you initially set it, which is where most issues come in. One set the spool tensioner so there’s a pinch of play or less left to right. No more than 1/16 inch. Set the DC to 1. Make a cast if you need more attention set the dial to 2, so on and so on. Using this potential knob, only defeats the purpose of the DC unit and can make the reel a pain to use. Try it you might be surprised. Dan
    Well, I did read the instructions several times and watched numerous YouTube vids on the subject. I put one drop of oil on the spool bearings...I've adjusted the cast control knob...I tried every number...I've used a baitcasting reel 1958..... and it's still backlashes. My 20 year old B-200 SF will out cast it any day.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Well, I did read the instructions several times and watched numerous YouTube vids on the subject. I put one drop of oil on the spool bearings...I've adjusted the cast control knob...I tried every number...I've used a baitcasting reel 1958..... and it's still backlashes. My 20 year old B-200 SF will out cast it any day.
    Sounds to me like a Typical new Shimano reel.
    It probably has too much lube in it.
    As crazy as it may sound…
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

13. Member
    I have 2 JDM Antares DC MD's. Other then the weird noise it makes they casts like a dream.

14. Member
    I have a Curado DC 150 that I use for Texas rig with 1/8 oz bullet weight and do not have a problem making long casts. Mine was a Christmas present so I tried it and got it set the way I want it, so far no issues.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Not if you kept playing with the cast control knob and I’m sure you’re very proficient with the bait caster however, DC reels are different. It’s not an under lube issue. It’s not an over lube issue. It’s an adjustment issue but you’re not gonna believe that so believe YouTube not sure why I would be motivated to give you bad instructions or lie. And what I said was generally speaking it was not directed at you personally that’s what we see that’s what the issue is. Period.
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Not if you kept playing with the cast control knob and I’m sure you’re very proficient with the bait caster however, DC reels are different. It’s not an under lube issue. It’s not an over lube issue. It’s an adjustment issue but you’re not gonna believe that so believe YouTube not sure why I would be motivated to give you bad instructions or lie. And what I said was generally speaking it was not directed at you personally that’s what we see that’s what the issue is. Period.
    I get all that. I don't play with the cast control knob. What I said in post #19
    I read on another forum where someone suggested jut putting it on 1 or 2 and adjusting the cast control knob to the weight of the bait, just like any other reel. I haven't tried that yet but will next time I fish with it.
    was only to point out that others have similar problems as I have. I have done exactly what the instructions and the Shimano online video say and this reel still. The last time I used it I was chucking a ¾ oz. spinnerbait. The reel was set precisely to the instructions with little to no play in the spool...fresh 15# Invivix...wind at my back. Still, for no identifiable reason it just woofs up the whole spool. I didn't even imply that you are lying to me...what I'm saying is I'm doing all you recommend and the reel still doesn't fulfill the promise from the manufacturer.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I get all that. I don't play with the cast control knob. What I said in post #19 was only to point out that others have similar problems as I have. I have done exactly what the instructions and the Shimano online video say and this reel still. The last time I used it I was chucking a ¾ oz. spinnerbait. The reel was set precisely to the instructions with little to no play in the spool...fresh 15# Invivix...wind at my back. Still, for no identifiable reason it just woofs up the whole spool. I didn't even imply that you are lying to me...what I'm saying is I'm doing all you recommend and the reel still doesn't fulfill the promise from the manufacturer.
    I'm curious if the DC eye that reads the spool speed is dirty or has some contamination on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    I'm curious if the DC eye that reads the spool speed is dirty or has some contamination on it.
    I'll check that. I started to give the reel a good bearing clean & lube but back off because I'm not familiar with how to service that bearing buried down in the DC braking control.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.