Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ideas To Speed Up Classic Weigh-In's

The length of time it takes to complete the weigh-in at the Classic is a bit of a problem. Here are a couple of my suggestions for speeding things up. Would love to hear other ideas as well.

I think BASS should have a weight standard that the competitor must meet to get the full boat drive up introduction, also allowing anglers to decline the boat drive up if they want. Beyond the first few guys to weigh-in surly there is a way they could make this happen. I'm thinking getting the guys who didn't make the days set weight go on stage one after another like a normal weigh-in, then do the full drive ups with guys who cleared the bar.

I think cutting the field to 20 or 15 for the final day should strongly be considered as well as cutting the bottom 5 or 10 after Day 1; Giving all of the guys that don't make the Day 3 cut their time in the spotlight on Day 2 is an issue I think.

So what are your thoughts and ideas?

It's a huge deal to make the Classic and many of the pros have contingency clauses in their contracts so they get a big bonus for making the Classic. Appearing on stage at the Classic is one of the biggest deals for their sponsors. No pro is going to turn down the chance to weight his fish and thank his sponsors. And, sponsors would raise holy heck if their guys didn't get a chance to weight their fish and thank their sponsors. Weigh-ins are boring, but I don't think that reducing the number to weigh-in will fly. They do a lot of replays and commercials that could be cut, but again it's a chance for sponsors to shine, so those likely wouldn't be cut, either.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    It's a huge deal to make the Classic and many of the pros have contingency clauses in their contracts so they get a big bonus for making the Classic. Appearing on stage at the Classic is one of the biggest deals for their sponsors. No pro is going to turn down the chance to weight his fish and thank his sponsors. And, sponsors would raise holy heck if their guys didn't get a chance to weight their fish and thank their sponsors. Weigh-ins are boring, but I don't think that reducing the number to weigh-in will fly. They do a lot of replays and commercials that could be cut, but again it's a chance for sponsors to shine, so those likely wouldn't be cut, either.
    How is this an idea or solution? It isn't, so why is it on this thread? Give solutions to problems you raise or don't write anything. Your post gets graded as F quality in my Creative Thinking Class. For goodness sakes, you shot down an idea that wasn't even offered.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassPundit View Post
    How is this an idea or solution? It isn't, so why is it on this thread? Give solutions to problems you raise or don't write anything. Your post gets graded as F quality in my Creative Thinking Class. For goodness sakes, you shot down an idea that wasn't even offered.
    so you say you want feedback but you don’t… you just want people to agree with you..

I’ll say it.. your idea is dumb.. fish all year to make the classic, you have the right to be on that stage for that 5 minutes of glory.. some guys may never get that chance again..

nobody is making you sit and watch the weighin.., if it is too painful for you, don’t watch!! Wait for the tv version…

I never suggested people not take the weigh-in stage. I am a serious fan, but the weigh-in as currently constituted loses my attention, that is a problem I think when a motivated watcher says I'm drifting off to other things.

I mean, why can't there be an exciting less time consuming entrance alternative than pulling up in one's boat?

Here is the best solution: It is exactly what Jeff said, so don't change it. If you don't like it, don't watch or attend. Problem solved
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

8. Moderator
    Record it and watch it at your own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Record it and watch it at your own pace.
    Wish I would have thought of that. The Day 2 weigh-in was terrible as far as flow. I regret I watched it live. If BASS doesn't change things I just may go to watching the replay on Youtube at 2X speed next year. Last year I'm pretty sure I went for a long walk on Day 2 and listened rather than watched for most of the time.

I'm sure BASS is thrilled with the don't watch or attend advice for a core fan losing interest because the formula is stale and wastes my time.
    Last edited by BassPundit; 03-24-2024 at 05:11 AM.

If the anglers are fine with it, then there is no reason to change it. It makes for a really long day for them, but if they are good with it, then let it roll. I never watch it myself, so they could spend all night doing it if they want.

I like to see the anglers, the conversations, but start on time. Knock off the silly stuff like the Progessive skits. I understand that the stall tactics are to get the sponsors time, so its hard to know when they actually start the weight in. I would also like to see the actual tow vehicles of the anglers, especially the camper rigs.

Bad things

A. It’s a 2 hour drive to the arena and 30/45 minutes to get everything ready for the drive back to the boat yard across the street.
    B. BASS has a sheet on who is going to get weigh in when.. if your truck was not a Toyota then we unhooked it and waited for one of the trucks that was wrapped up with the name Toyota to pull them across the street to the back entrance. They had a high school team that was in charge to wipe down the boat and trucks before they went in to weigh.
    C. This is what I witnessed from 2016 when I was lucky enough to get to work in the boat yard..
    Last edited by OkieBud; 03-24-2024 at 06:15 AM.

I caught half of the weigh-in but then it just got boring so I flipped channels to round ball.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

14. Member
    He’s not wrong. I’ve attended two classics and the weigh in are ridiculous. God willing I’ll attend another one, but 4 hours to weigh in 50 guys is ridiculous. I encourage everyone to attend a classic once in your life, but I’d skip the weigh in.

15. Member
    It doesn't help that the weigh in is over an hour away from the lake. Grand Lake is not an ideal location for holding the Classic

16. Member
    Do they fry the fish afterwards and feed the Marshals lol

17. Member
    Do the weigh in at the boat ramp.! Send the anglers on the drive.! Meanwhile at the venu , show it all on the big screen.! Then the guys file in for the nascar style speeches.!

It’s once a year for 54 guys. Suck it up. Any idea to not let someone participate in the full weigh in is beyond ridiculous.

19. Member
    The length of time it takes to complete the weigh-in at the Classic is a bit of a problem. Here are a couple of my suggestions for speeding things up. Would love to hear other ideas as well.

I think BASS should have a weight standard that the competitor must meet to get the full boat drive up introduction, also allowing anglers to decline the boat drive up if they want. Beyond the first few guys to weigh-in surly there is a way they could make this happen. I'm thinking getting the guys who didn't make the days set weight go on stage one after another like a normal weigh-in, then do the full drive ups with guys who cleared the bar.

I think cutting the field to 20 or 15 for the final day should strongly be considered as well as cutting the bottom 5 or 10 after Day 1; Giving all of the guys that don't make the Day 3 cut their time in the spotlight on Day 2 is an issue I think.

So what are your thoughts and ideas?
    Why would I agree with you.. If I did we would both be wrong.......jus sayin

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    He’s not wrong. I’ve attended two classics and the weigh in are ridiculous. God willing I’ll attend another one, but 4 hours to weigh in 50 guys is ridiculous. I encourage everyone to attend a classic once in your life, but I’d skip the weigh in.
    4 hours to weigh in 50 plus anglers is about 4 1/2 minutes each. That's not bad considering that includes pulling the boat into arena, pictures, weighing the fish, interview and leaving the arena.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast