To those that work booths at the Classic

Thank you. I have been to many and worked a few it’s a LONG hard weekend. Takes time to set the booth up and once the doors open it is full speed ahead all day. And standing all day is no picnic
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

You said it! It has its perks, but it can be boring and very tiring.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Ha.. isn’t that a part of the “pro staff” thing? Haha..

I always smile at young kids not knowing any bettter asking how to get sponsors.. reality, they want free stuff and have no clue that you’re expected to work shows and actually give up something in return for discounted products, and not just wear a patch and display a sticker!!

4. Member
    I was there yesterday, fun times busy all day. Everybody carrying around BPS bucket. I did see Bill Dance and shook his hand, Bill is looking older... Great day overall..

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Before retiring I’d work 6-8 ag trade shows every winter plus an occasional Farm Progress Show in the summer. I think the ROI is very low for most of them.

6. Member
    PS the Bass CAT Jag with the 500 Merc at the Expo was awesome...

7. Member
    Working any kind of expo is, well, work. Stood around for many hours doing IT shows, and it is much more than just standing around and chatting with folks. You need to be on top of your game all the time, willing to approach people, be ready for people to say how another product is “better,” then when day 1 is over, be ready for a few more days of it. Throw in some customer meetings, evening socials, plus the work back home, and it is easy to see why it is exhausting.

I imagine for those working fishing booths it is not different, but you have to listen to endless stories of the 10 pounder they caught on your bait.

8. Member
    Every time I go to our local fishing expo I think of how glad I am that I don't live in that world. I've never been to a classic expo, but at our local fishing shows there are people trying to sell products unrelated to fishing or the outdoors, like cleaning products and the like. I have to imagine it's tough running across the country to make a few dollars in every town, living out of a van and eating fast food.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Before retiring I’d work 6-8 ag trade shows every winter plus an occasional Farm Progress Show in the summer. I think the ROI is very low for most of them.

I hear ya. I prolly do 20 trade shows a year. They're all a beating and zero ROI. It is a revenue stream for the company holding the shows after you figure what they ask vendors to pay for booth fees. Ridonkulous! If you wanna play, you gotta pay.
    Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

10. Member
    I used to shoot for Hoyt archery, and part of our deal was to work the shows. I really enjoyed that part of it, but the set up and tear down sucked! Worked many deer classics and a few store openings and always liked showing new products and answering questions

I used to do Home & Garden and Homebuilder shows for Formica and Tarkett. You get numb to it all after the first day of one of those. I went for a few hours yesterday. It was a madhouse there. I tried to be as non-typical as possible....if that's possible.

I did get to shake hands with Hank Parker and thank him for being my mentor when I didn't have a mentor when I first started. I told him that he was the guy who taught me to tie a Palomar knot. I also shook hands with KVD, and Shaw Grigsby, couldn't get near Rick Clunn or Bill Dance. Bought some shorts from the Striker booth and a souvenir t-shirt from the Bassmaster booth...some hand tied rubber jigs from Missile. Met a Humminbird tech guy that will help me with my interference problem. Good time.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

It's usually what you make of it. This year we have seven dealers with booths at the show so it's a balancing act trying to spend time in each booth. It can get hectic trying but being busy is a good thing. I enjoy working the Classic for the most part. I enjoy meeting people and I enjoy talking fishing.
    I enjoy the week in a different city. After hours is always a great time as it's one of the few times our crew is all in the same place at the same time.

All in a it's a lot of work but it's worth it. We have such a loyal customer base and I enjoy hearing their feedback and visiting with them.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 03-24-2024 at 07:41 AM.

I was wishing that there had been some way to meet up with some BBC'ers. We all look the same.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I was wishing that there had been some way to meet up with some BBC'ers. We all look the same.
    Just listen to who's bitching and reach out your hand!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

It’s a grind indeed! One more day to go. We’ve had quite a few guys from here stop by The Tackle Trap booth this year. It’s always fun to put faces with usernames! We’re in 482, main hall, right next to Daiwa!