Replacing HB Mega Live with LVS 34 and need some tips

Currently I have 2 HB Helix units at the bow of my bass boat and one Helix 12 at the console. At the bow, I have #1 12 inch HB G4N for mapping, 2D, down imaging, and M360. #1 HB Helix 10 inch G4N for Mega Live primarily. The newest ML update is an improvement but still changing this week to Garmin LVS 34 for max performance. I purchased LVS 34 and 8612 unit that will arrive Monday. My initial thoughts to save time in install:

1. Leave 12 inch HB on the bow (nearest the ultrex pedal) networked to console with hub under console and pull off HB 10 inch off (top unit on BBT mount)
    2. Use existing power cable for HB 10 to splice in power for Garmin 8612. The power cable for the HB has a 3 to 5 amp fuse in place so will adjust fuse for Garmin needs. I have separate power(10 gauge) for each unit that runs from unit to the lithium 100ah cranking battery at the transom for each unit.
    3. Raise my 360 (pole has been cut shorter when first installed) enough to have 2 inches between 360 and LVS 34. Also allow 2 inches from LVS 34 to ultrex motor. Will this give me enough room to use the perspective mount when I need to?
    4. Install black box under console (first choice next to HB hub already there) or in rod locker. Ordered longer garmin network cable if there is room under the console.
    5. Both ML and M360 have a separate on/off power switch at the bow of my boat now. Use the ML switch to power the black box on and off or just remove completely since black box doesn’t need to be turned on/off?
    6. Purchased a cable protector (plastic cover with opening on side) and braided cable cover 1/2 inch by 20 ft.
    7. The HB unit that I am removing was used as a back up for other uses like mapping(added Lakemaster card also) and it was on the network.
    8. What can new Garmin 8612 (not xsv) also be used for? Can I add a mapping card and use as back up? Can I run my US2 on ultrex to Garmin? I have a external HB down imaging on TM so not sure that is possible.

Comments or other thoughts?

thanks for any help you can provide!
    Last edited by CatCanDoo; 03-23-2024 at 11:04 PM.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Essentially what I did except replaced a Lowrance with an Echomap. You'll have to mess around with the proper heights for M360 and the LVS-34 xducer. My M360 sits maybe 2" below the surface of the water (it just needs to be covered) and the LVS-23 xducer has about 2" of space between it and the prop. I put the GLS-10 black box in the starboard rod locker. It's got a really big headed power cable I really couldn't run that cable anywhere else without a huge effort and a huge mess. All my electronics are controlled by an on/off switch on a separate electronics lithium.

You can't use the DI Ultrex transducer on the Garmin. Not sure why it would be necessary. On my bow HB, I have a shortcut set to a 70/30 split of map and 2D+DI. My Garmin is fullscreen LS 95% of the time although I do have a short cut with a LS and Garmin map split because I like the way Garmin maps show creeks on Rayburn and Toledo more than Lakemaster. I also use my bow HB for Mega Live and Target Lock. If I had enough room up front, I'd wire in another HB just for ML+TL.

EDIT : I misread the post - I missed the US2 part. Updated to specfically state the DI transducer. Although I'm still not sure why one would care to use the 2D on an LVS display.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 03-24-2024 at 01:24 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Essentially what I did except replaced a Lowrance with an Echomap. You'll have to mess around with the proper heights for M360 and the LVS-34 xducer. My M360 sits maybe 2" below the surface of the water (it just needs to be covered) and the LVS-23 xducer has about 2" of space between it and the prop. I put the GLS-10 black box in the starboard rod locker. It's got a really big headed power cable I really couldn't run that cable anywhere else without a huge effort and a huge mess. All my electronics are controlled by an on/off switch on a separate electronics lithium.

You can't use the Ultrex transducer on the Garmin. Not sure why it would be necessary. On my bow HB, I have a shortcut set to a 70/30 split of map and 2D+DI. My Garmin is fullscreen LS 95% of the time although I do have a short cut with a LS and Garmin map split because I like the way Garmin maps show creeks on Rayburn and Toledo more than Lakemaster. I also use my bow HB for Mega Live and Target Lock. If I had enough room up front, I'd wire in another HB just for ML+TL.
    Can use the Minnkota built-in US2 transducer with a Garmin or Lowrance. Can use the built-in DSC of the new Minnkota motors with a Garmin or Lowrance also. Just need the matching adapter for the brand and transducer connection type.

This is one of the Garmin types:

US2 Adapter Cable / MKR-US2-12 - Garmin Echo - Minn Kota (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Can use the Minnkota built-in US2 transducer with a Garmin or Lowrance. Can use the built-in DSC of the new Minnkota motors with a Garmin or Lowrance also. Just need the matching adapter for the brand and transducer connection type.

This is one of the Garmin types:

US2 Adapter Cable / MKR-US2-12 - Garmin Echo - Minn Kota (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    Thanks Wayne. I missed the US2 part of the original post.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Thanks for the info. Are you able to use the LVS 34 in perspective mode on the shaft of the TM with 360 above it? I assume so but read a post where they weren’t able to use perspective mode with 360.
    Last edited by CatCanDoo; 03-24-2024 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spell check