Thread: What Reels

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What Reels

Guys I lost several reel/rods this weekend. I looking to replace them but need some advice.
    What bait casting reels are the best casting for long distance but have a wide spool.

2. Scraps
    If I was buying I’d be looking at the Daiwa Tatula lineup. Seems like there are price points for everyone in that lineup. Or Shimano Curado’s.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Price range?

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    If I was buying I’d be looking at the Daiwa Tatula lineup. Seems like there are price points for everyone in that lineup. Or Shimano Curado’s.
    I use the Diawa Tatula for my top water, jerk bait and small swim bait presentations. It doesn’t have the Line capacity of larger reels but I compensate by using 15 lb braid and 12 lb fluorocarbon leader. With this I can throw a Zara Puppy the long distances required to get to breaking fish.
    I pair this with a Diawa Arix rod. The Tatula on this rod is perfectly balanced and has zero tip weight. The fast taper lets the rod load up on light lures and this rod is only $50.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Would like to keep around 300 per reel

6. Member
    I second or third the Daiwa Tatula. I started with one of these reels years ago... I now have 6 or 7 of them. They have different price points depending on the model. I like the 150 size. You can buy them under $200 and closer to $150 I think. I have a couple of them with the SV spool and I like the combo a lot.

Pretty much, the Tatula is the only reel I use anymore. All of my favorite baits are on rods with them. One exception is a Shimano 50MG. They don't make the 50MG anymore and I love it.

I have fished the Tatula a lot for several years in pretty harsh conditions and have never had to have one repaired... they have never broken. I oil them and that's about it
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

7. Member
    Hate to ask, but how did you "lose" them? Stolen? Accidently fell overboard?

Also, keep an eye on the "Reels" for sale board located down below. Some good deals can be had there.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Shimano Curado 200DC - it sings when it casts, so if you can handle that you'll love it. You have 4 brake settings (zero, braid, fluor, skip) and it'll cast a country mile. The issue I've had with Tatula's is the anti reverse doesn't work in very cold fishing conditions.

9. Member
    I would be looking at Tatula elites if I were you

10. Member
    I really like the Diawa Zillions, ordered from Digitaka for a good price and haven't had any issues.

11. Member
    Daiwa Tatula

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Would like to keep around 300 per reel
    JDM Bantams and Metaniums can be had for a lot less than that.

13. #FRB
    Curado MGL is hard to beat at around $200. I own 8 of them and will own more as I retire older reels.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

14. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I agree with the MGL being great but it isn't really a wide spool like he requested.

15. Member
    I have several of those couple of years ago Quantum Tour Reels, been amazing, Tatula has been great, have a few ABU reels including the Zenons, The high speed zenon is smooth as glass, but speed offers zero torque. High speed quantums seem to have good torque and the Daiwa also does really well with high speed, Taken apart they are all close, the quantum believe it or not has great build quality, daiwas also, abu pretty good. Many if not all claim 11BB and you will find 4 are in handles
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

16. Member
    Curado/Chronarch is a great reL for the price. I own a bunch of them. I have one Daiwa Tatula, it is so a good real. It doesn't throw a very light lure as well as the Curado though.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

17. Member
    Guys thanks
    Yes someone got me at the boat ramp.
    Unreal how bad this world has become.

18. Member
    Curado line is 90% of my reels.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    If I was buying I’d be looking at the Daiwa Tatula lineup. Seems like there are price points for everyone in that lineup.
    Agree. If you really want to spoil yourself, spend a bit more than 300 and look at the Zillions. The Tatula SV LE (limited edition) is less than the Zillion, not quite as good, but equivalent to the Elite but with the SV spool, although may be hard to find now.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Guys thanks
    Yes someone got me at the boat ramp.
    Unreal how bad this world has become.
    Sorry to hear that. How in the world did they steal them at the boat ramp?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast