Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Showing my age but they did back in the90s in Birmingham anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    They don't close the Expo for weigh in. I'm at the Expo and the weigh in is going on. I don't recall them ever closing the Expo for weigh in. I've probably worked the past 10 Classics.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Got to love Matt Robertson
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

I agree. It is brutal to watch.
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

4. Member
    It takes waaayyyy too long.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Pretty lame in my opinion, as all weigh-ins are. Yawn.

I've never been a huge fan of weigh-ins either. I think most are boring, hokey, and artificially staged. I really didn't appreciate how much until I worked the 2017 Bassmaster Classic when Jo-Lee won his first. I was a stadium nurse for the Astros/Minute Maid Park and, as such, I got to see how everything "works" behind the scenes. It was all of the above things and less. First thing that I hadn't fully appreciated was how far it was from Minute Maid to Lake Conroe. It's 55-60 mile drive and over an hour travel time IF (and in Houston, unless its 3am and you're playing "dodge the drunks" a BIG if) you can do posted speeds. It sort of confirmed my thoughts of how hypocritical the "weigh them in alive/catch and release" priority bit wasn't a reality. Yes, I realize state fisheries transport fish often and in Texas that can be a fair distance from the fishery to the lake. However, its not a straight up apples to apples type deal.

Being First Aid, our Motorola's have access to all communication channels. Listening to the traffic of the channel used by BASS versus watching what you were seeing on TV didn't exactly match up. This also confirmed the corniness of the "mystery" at the weigh-in as too who will be the victor. Via radio traffic, I knew Jo-Lee had won about the same time he did. It also confirmed BassTracker's deficiencies in updating. Getting to hear on the radio and being at the location where they cordon off the winner confirms the lameness of the excitement of the winner versus number 2.

Overall, as I'm not a big weigh-in fan to start with, I wasn't particularly disappointed. At least I can say I got to see live/be at a Bassmaster Classic and, in my case, I got paid to be there.

I'm not a Milliken hater, but I don't hate that he had to eat some humble pie in his first classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Got to love Matt Robertson
    May need to get me some of those jockey underwear instead of the all brown stained tighty whiteys. That ain't from the poop but they're just old......

Dallas Cowboys…..Eventual Super Bowl Champions

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Its going to be my bedtime and they will still be weighing fish. I have to get up early tomorrow to fish.

And what are the fish doing during all this time? Certainly they can't be in the boat live wells during this time can they?

Quote Originally Posted by basscatlildave View Post
    Showing my age but they did back in the90s in Birmingham anyway.
    Yep the one that George Cochran won is the last time I sat through the weigh in it took 4 hours best I remember and they did make you go to the weigh in. I have been many times since but always left before the weigh in just assumed they still closed the expo.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Its going to be my bedtime and they will still be weighing fish. I have to get up early tomorrow to fish.

And what are the fish doing during all this time? Certainly they can't be in the boat live wells during this time can they?
    You don't see them dropping the fish under the stage right below the scale? They're obviously being dropped into a tank and according to the BASS commercials they've been playing the whole event the fish should be somehow getting into those release boats.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    You don't see them dropping the fish under the stage right below the scale? They're obviously being dropped into a tank and according to the BASS commercials they've been playing the whole event the fish should be somehow getting into those release boats.
    Isn't that after they weigh them?

12. Member
    Dang, I’ve always enjoyed Don Day, but he seems to be slipping. I haven’t heard him mispronounce this many names in all the previous Classics combined.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    Isn't that after they weigh them?
    Well of course they get from the lake to the BOK Center in the boat's live well, it's not 100 degrees out and if one dies there will be a penalty so nothing to see here.

14. Member
    Well of course they get from the lake to the BOK Center in the boat's live well, it's not 100 degrees out and if one dies there will be a penalty so nothing to see here.
    Alot of time on the blacktop for those fish.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Dang, I’ve always enjoyed Don Day, but he seems to be slipping. I haven’t heard him mispronounce this many names in all the previous Classics combined.
    No longer Don Day. New M/C.

-b-

16. Member
    i thought Clunn was great on Live mix today. Gman too, as usual though

17. Member
    That announcer did mispronouce many names the last two days all hype hope he will get called out on that it was lame, maybe honest mistakes but not proffessional and the hometown names as well

Quote Originally Posted by BillsFan View Post
    Volume issues here but overall I agree
    I noticed that on the first day, didn't watch day two
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I’m more curious about after the anglers arrive at the weigh in location and in some cases sit there for a couple of hours before their fish are weighed. Do they take the fish out if the livewell in a mesh bag and hold them in an aerated tank before it’s their turn at the stage?

20. Member
    Im a pretty dang big fan of bass, and I’ll watch weigh in as background noise, but attending a live weigh in definitely isn’t on the bucket list for me
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast