Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insurance - who do you reccomend I get quotes from? (MO)

Its past time that I guess I have to play the game and get all my insurance quoted.

Back story - Home, 2 cars, boat, camper, personal liability all with AmFam and has been for like 20 years. Felt some loyalty to them as they have been great on some claims, 2 roofs (one last year), basement flood, totaled boat/truck/trailer), but time to look around. Last time I switched years back after finding lower rates, the new "lower" cost company was up over what I had been paying in a year - so not looking forward to this.

Anyways - open to any recommendations you guys might have.

2. Member
    the responsible folks are getting to pay for all the folks that drive without proper insurance illegals driving with no insurance or assets its not fair but get used to paying other folks bills.

As a rule of thumb, which I learned the hard way, I would stay away from any major insurance company that advertises on TV.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Take this with a grain of salt as it came directly from my AmFam agent, but he told me that if you had a home policy in place pre-covid that policy will have coverages that are grandfathered in and don't exist any longer at AmFam or any insurance company. Pro-rated roof, siding and window replacements based on age among a few other things are now standard practice. In the past, full replacement was available and it did not matter the age of the damaged item.

You may have more insight into this as you have already filed roof replacement claims.

I have wanted to shop around my AmFam coverage lately too, (home, 2 cars, 2 boats, umbrella etc.) but this had me concerned enough that I have not really pursued it much yet.

5. Member
    It never hurts to shop, and, being in Missouri, I’d definitely check with Ben Green Insurance (you can easily find his contact info with a search on Facebook). Typically, for me anyway, its hard to get good quotes from a new company when you've had recent claims on your current company. Some wont even take you.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt as it came directly from my AmFam agent, but he told me that if you had a home policy in place pre-covid that policy will have coverages that are grandfathered in and don't exist any longer at AmFam or any insurance company. Pro-rated roof, siding and window replacements based on age among a few other things are now standard practice. In the past, full replacement was available and it did not matter the age of the damaged item.

You may have more insight into this as you have already filed roof replacement claims.

I have wanted to shop around my AmFam coverage lately too, (home, 2 cars, 2 boats, umbrella etc.) but this had me concerned enough that I have not really pursued it much yet.
    Discussion with my AmFam agent yesterday regarding home policy - All theirs (and many other companies per her) home policies are changing to pro rated roofs and higher deductibles - they wont insure a roof over 7 years old. Premium is lower (crappier insurance - duh). I have always had a $1000 deductible (as in the case of my roof last year), now it will go to 1% of home value on the policy. I may not do any better, but I HAVE to take a look around. Thanks much for your comment.

7. Member
    Progressive. I’ve tried to find the same coverage for less every year, but nobody beats their rates.

Not that their rates are cheap, but that everyone else is more.

Progressive! My broker checks for me every year. It always comes back to Progressive.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Get with an insurance broker and have them shop multiple different companies for you to compare rates.

10. Member
    When I'd had enough of the cost increases associated with paying for commercials, I called friends and contractors to find out who the best in my state was for taking care of claims. one clear answer from multiple people and they had a decent rate. Don't let price be the only decision point. How the address the claim is important a well.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Progressive! My broker checks for me every year. It always comes back to Progressive.

12. Member
    Yes Progressive first, then check with Travelers.

13. Member
    Erie and call a broker. Erie saved us $1287 a year over State Farm.

I had Pogressive
    Quoted with AAA, State Farm, Allstate, Progrssive and Farm Bureau

Allstate was the most expensive by far
    State farm was good on the Auto, Home was double
    Progessive just cost to much, And they out source there home which is expensive
    AAA was close
    Farn Bureau was the best for Auto and Home, Plus I can pay for the full year

Progressive Auro went to 1,400 6/mon and the Farm Bureau for the year is 1,800 for a 2017 GMC and 2017 Ford Focus

That's my story

Quote Originally Posted by NW.Ind.Basser View Post
    I just switched to Erie based on the recommendation of my body shop. Too many folks shop insurance based solely on the price. There’s a reason why some companies have lower premiums and when it comes time to file a claim you’ll know why.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I just switched to Erie based on the recommendation of my body shop. Too many folks shop insurance based solely on the price. There’s a reason why some companies have lower premiums and when it comes time to file a claim you’ll know why.
    Funny. It's the exact reason I did. My BIL owns a body shop and he said they're by fair the easiest to work with. They don't haggle on using OEM, if available, and pay a fair dollar.

17. Member
    Just be glad that you have homeowner insurance available to you. In Florida, a lot of home owner carriers are leaving the state and no new ones coming in leaving us with very little options. My home insurance is going to double this year and that is if I can find coverage.

The Florida insurance regulator that governs carriers is in their pocket and is corrupt as hell. We saw this issue coming ten years ago and all we get is "lip service" from Tallahassee. Gross mismanagement as usual from that group.

18. Member
    Farm Bureau

Funny. It's the exact reason I did. My BIL owns a body shop and he said they're by fair the easiest to work with. They don't haggle on using OEM, if available, and pay a fair dollar.
    When I told my body shop that I had State Farm insurance, he loudly groaned. My body shop told me that if I would have had Erie insurance when I hit a deer on October 17 with our brand new Subaru Outback and all of the airbags went off, they would have totaled the car and I would have been driving a new one by Nov. 1. Instead, State Farm refused to total the car, even though no parts were available to repair it until mid-January. And, State Farm refused to extend our rental car until our Outback was repaired. So, my wife and I have shared my Crosstrek since mid-November. It's a real treat trying to coordinate two schedules and one car. Between me and my body shop we have spend an incalculable number of hours on the phone with State Farm. As a result of my debacle with them, my body shop will no longer repair any car insured by State Farm. By the way, I am still waiting to get the car back, as more damage was found during the tear down than they thought existed. Between the cost of repair, the rental car payments that they did make and the storage fees that my body shopped is charging them, State Farm will lose money compared to if they had just totaled the car to begin with. In my opinion, State Farm insurance is a bunch of thieves and I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

20. Member
    Never heard of Erie. Is that a nation wide company?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast