Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    I'm still trying to figure out which way my boat heading is on my Elite Ti2.

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    im ambivalent towards the cost. I think the affluence of BBC members often lead to a bias that everyone can afford stuff just because they can. BBC members don’t represent the financial wellbeing of majority of families.

I can’t afford it because I don’t feel comfortable dropping that much money. Especially because I can’t justify selfishly spending $600 on my hobby that might get 10 uses a year when that money could be spent elsewhere like my 14mo daughter, a month of daycare, saving for a down payment on a car, college fund, home repairs, camping trip etc. everyone’s priorities are different.

It’s no different than other travel sports, some families flat out can’t afford the hotel or other fees that are associated with travel teams, so their children cant participate.

100%

When my daughter was growing up, I couldn’t justify the expense of the boat. I sold it to spend my time with her.

Great decision.

My point is if they are already out there competing with a reasonable 19 foot boat under 10 years old they can reasonably afford $600 for a AT1.

Obviously, there are many that cannot. Sorry if my comment came off wrong.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    im ambivalent towards the cost. I think the affluence of BBC members often lead to a bias that everyone can afford stuff just because they can. BBC members don’t represent the financial wellbeing of majority of families.

I can’t afford it because I don’t feel comfortable dropping that much money. Especially because I can’t justify selfishly spending $600 on my hobby that might get 10 uses a year when that money could be spent elsewhere like my 14mo daughter, a month of daycare, saving for a down payment on a car, college fund, home repairs, camping trip etc. everyone’s priorities are different.

It’s no different than other travel sports, some families flat out can’t afford the hotel or other fees that are associated with travel teams, so their children cant participate.
    Yea, I think you're largely correct. As the old saying goes, "I grew up without a pot to p**s in nor a window to throw it out of". Now, in the twilight of my work career (and for some years), I have thankfully earned from low to mid 6 figure income, so I GUESS that would be considered somewhat economically advantaged. I have seen it from both sides of the fence and I think here we don't acknowledge this very often.

For 15 years I also coached Jr. Olympic travel softball and it is indeed expensive and unfortunately a number of economically disadvantaged youths don't get the opportunity to play at that level. Because of this, before we ever had a practice, I had a team meeting with all the players and parents. I told them that come playoff time and on into nationals, by the rules I'm allowed to pick up two players from anywhere and if and when I do, they will play. One of them will be economically disadvantaged and we ALL will pay for all of that players expenses. Speak now or forever hold your peace and no harm no foul. It's not as corny and altruistic as it probably sounds because we benefited and it addressed legitimate deficiencies of the team. However, I did want to legitimately help out a poor kid because I was once that kid that could only look through the window cause my parents didn't have enough money for me to walk in.

4. Member
    I am 71 and declining quick. But for 55 years, I have visted some of the best bass waters in the country. As soon as I heard a lake was producing big fish. I hit it. But when the masses found out, the lake would always suffer. Some rebounded, some did not. Then a thing called social media showed up, and I went into further decline. Then it became almost instant when a lake was producing, and the hordes showed up. Now we have a technology that allows a fisherman to locate, track, and get the lure right to the fishes' mouth. What could go wrong? Social Media with FFS, is as the song says...A Deadly Combination. And as far as a 19 year old goes, or any Pro ...I could care less. But I do worry about the Fisheries. I know, I know, FFS is just a tool.
    Last edited by lakebouef5; 03-23-2024 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    I am 71 and declining quick. But for 55 years, I have visted some if the best bass waters in the country. As soon as I heard a lake was producing big fish. I hit it. But when the masses found out, the lake would always suffer. Some rebounded, some did not. Then a thing called social media showed up, and I went into further decline. Then it became almost instant when a lake was producing, and the hordes showed up. Now we have a technology that allows a fisherman to locate, track, and get the lure right to the fishes' mouth. What could go wrong? Social Media with FFS, is as the dong says...A Deadly Combination. And as far as a 19 year old goes, or any Pro ...I could care less. But I do worry about the Fisheries. I know, I know, FFS is just a tool.
    Fisheries peak, and fisheries decline. It has always been that way.

I'm not buying that FFS fishing pressure leading to a decline in a fishery is necessarily a bad thing. After all, the reason the populations exist is for us to fish for them. Declines in populations lead to increased growth rates, and then to trophy fisheries that you seek.

As long as habitat is protected, it only takes a few years for a bass fishery to come back, and an even shorter time for panfish species like crappies. It sounds like you've had a great deal of enjoyment over your life seeking out peaking fisheries. FFS is going to make these opportunities easier to find, and now you'll have a great tool to fish them.

6. Member
    As soon as I heard a lake was producing big fish. I hit it. But when the masses found out, the lake would always suffer.
    You realize that YOU are the masses that caused that, right?
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    100%

When my daughter was growing up, I couldn’t justify the expense of the boat. I sold it to spend my time with her.

Great decision.

My point is if they are already out there competing with a reasonable 19 foot boat under 10 years old they can reasonably afford $600 for a AT1.

Obviously, there are many that cannot. Sorry if my comment came off wrong.
    Actually I should’ve clarified my post. The first couple thoughts were just generally speaking. But the last part I actually was agreeing with you. just didn’t come out the way I hoped.

It’s similar to travel sports that involve a crap ton of time and money. If someone can afford a 19ft boat and pay entry fees trying to be competitive in tournaments out of state that involve lodging and other misc costs, then ya they can afford FFS, even if it means skipping one event.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Member
    One thing the bass fishing, and tournaments in particular if facing is what is know as "the third generation curse". This is most often observed with a patriarch/(or matriarch) (First Generation) who started a business empire from scratch with their hard work and intelligence acquiring high status, "generational wealth" and subsequent inheritance to their children. Their children (the second generation) saw first hand what their parent went through to get to where they are-but they did not have the skin in the game as much as the first generation, so their investment in the enterprise has degraded, but they may still be involved. Then, when the second generations kids (3rd generation) are even more removed, often spoiled and have hardly any investment in what gave them wealth. They only think about themselves and their lifestyle, typically.

This is what we are seeing with bass fishing. We know who the first generation guys are- Bill Dance, Roland Martin, and even Rick Clunn etc. The second generation guys like Hank Parker, Denny Brauer and Davy Hite all had an appreciation of how the sport got to where it is, but weren't the first ones on the scene, so to speak. They still have a love for the culture, skillsets, natural learning, etc, that the first generation men had, but it was an arms reach away. Now- the third generation guys we see (some who post on this board, for example) have FAR less appreciation for the history of the sport and what it is all about. It is all about busting their nut using FFS, so to speak-not the chase or the puzzle to be solved. Some on here even considered Hank Parker some random old dude after seeing his video on the subject-so that is proof positive they don't appreciate the path bass fishing has went through. I was watching live steam this morning and saw one young rookie facing off with a Canada Goose and actually offered up a small bass to it, thinking it wanted to eat it,,,,then he referred to the goose's "baby DUCKS". If this is representative of what this class of anglers know about nature and wildlife in general, the sport genuinely is doomed by the 'Curse of the Third Generation'

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    I can agree with this sentiment and feel much the same way. Finding the fishing is/ was part of the appeal and you competed with others to see who was best at breaking it down.

And from that point it was any given Sunday you had a decent chance based solely on the results of your knowledge/efforts in a fair play stuation. Fair meaning the blind luring of a fish in its elements using a retrieve. That game was a design where the fish had equal chance to avoid capture by being able to remain unseen in its elements. The exception was sight fishing shallow water.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    You realize that YOU are the masses that caused that, right?
    I sure do. But when I go to another state, I treat that lake as if it were my own. I am not filleting bass nor yanking out 9 and 10 lbers for mounts. I have seen some interesting sights in my travels over the years. Nor all act this way, but enough to have a bad effect. Human nature is...awesome!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2bassn View Post
    I believe that FFS is the best tool in their toolbox to use in order to get the job done but if they can’t find that tool they have other tools that will work for them. JMO
    Yep. I'm only 57 & i know for a fact that i'm not as mentally sharp as i used to be. I use to could do some pretty complicated math problems in my head before you could do them on a calculator but not anymore & but personally i think it's because my mind is beginning to age. They know it's the best thing for them to use to catch the bigger offshore fish but if they're on the bank i think these young guys know more than most of the older mid 40s & up crowd think they do. Bass changed when the past pros went to MLF & when they invited the new anglers they also invited a different & younger mind set that is not going to stick to jigs, crank baits, etc. beating the bank because that's all they've ever used in the past & will use the new tech because they are outstanding with it but will use the old tried & true old tech & lures if needed. Being younger & using your younger mind definitely has it's advantages in many things including fishing.
    Last edited by Les Young; 03-23-2024 at 07:43 PM.

12. Member
    Let's just hope as technology advances that these antiquated units will drop in price

Every time I see a post about FFS, I think back to a friend of mine, and what he said about it.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it differs from yours. What fishing is to some people, is completely different to scores of others.

Do you deer hunt?
    Would you be fine with someone using a thermal imaging device to locate deer in the woods? You know, just walking through the woods scanning, waiting for a heat image to show up? Would you consider that hunting, or just shooting?
    That would take the sport out of hunting, the thrill of the chase would be gone. That's the way a lot of fishermen feel about FFS, the skill of finding the fish is almost gone, other than scoping them out. Sure you have to get them to bite, but you know where they are and what they are doing. FFS bypasses a lot of the knowledge gained over years of fishing, but it will never replace to joy of figuring out the fish on your own."

What I wonder is how long will the FFS debate go on? Can we get a couple of more years out of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Every time I see a post about FFS, I think back to a friend of mine, and what he said about it.

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it differs from yours. What fishing is to some people, is completely different to scores of others.

Do you deer hunt?
    Would you be fine with someone using a thermal imaging device to locate deer in the woods? You know, just walking through the woods scanning, waiting for a heat image to show up? Would you consider that hunting, or just shooting?
    That would take the sport out of hunting, the thrill of the chase would be gone. That's the way a lot of fishermen feel about FFS, the skill of finding the fish is almost gone, other than scoping them out. Sure you have to get them to bite, but you know where they are and what they are doing. FFS bypasses a lot of the knowledge gained over years of fishing, but it will never replace to joy of figuring out the fish on your own."
    “Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching—even when doing the wrong thing is legal.” —Unknown

16. Member
    If tournaments started later in the year where fishing offshore isn’t as much of a factor, FFS wouldn’t be an issue. It begs the question, are tournaments the actual issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post

Do you deer hunt?
    I figured them out in my youth, but now I work 60 hours a week. I have no time to fish empty water and screw around. I also take issue with anyone who has fished for a living saying to ban it.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

It's hard to blame age as the factor to if an older angler can/will embrace FFS technology when crappie anglers have embraced it and learned to be very proficient with it for a decade now. Many of those crappie anglers are older.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    It's hard to blame age as the factor to if an older angler can/will embrace FFS technology when crappie anglers have embraced it and learned to be very proficient with it for a decade now. Many of those crappie anglers are older.
    Big crappies and bluegills are what drove me to invest in FFS.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

20. Member
    No, I am not scared of younger anglers, because winning a tournament isn't that important to me. There is, however, some resentment in any sport when the young guys start taking over, breaking records, etc. Unfortunately for the older pros, they created an opening for many of the new guys when a large number of the old BASS stalwarts decided to leave for the MLF/BPT side of things. This allowed for a wave of the younger, more tech-oriented anglers to enter and it just happened to coincide with the revolution in FFS. Now you have a number of older guys on both tours who feel they can't compete.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast