Thread: clean power

clean power

so i want to run clean power to my graphs. i have a carbon 12 and active target on the bow, and a live 9 at the console. So Iam thinking 8 or 10 gauge from the battery with a fuse at the batt. but not sure what size then to a fuse block in the starboard rod locker and from there a 10 gauge to the front. might add another graph on the bow in the future, for mapping. so my question is do i have the right size wiring and what size fuse at the battery.
    2010 FX Skeeter

2. Member
    I have 2 BlueSea fuse boxes, one at the bow (under my TM recess) and one under the console with dedicated 10 gauge positive and negative for each. Makes changing or adding graphs and accessories very simple. 8 gauge would probably have been better but haven't had any issues using 10.

3. Member
    ok thanks and what about the fuse at the battery and or a shut off
    2010 FX Skeeter

4. Member
    I don't have a fuse at the battery but the positive does go to a shut off first and then to the BlueSea fuse boxes.

Here is a guide line for you, note the twisted pairs, very important for clean power.
    No duplex wiring please unless it is prefabbed twisted, 3 to 5 twists per foot.
    MFDSYSTEM.jpg
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    The key item is a breaker or fuse within inches of the positive battery post. the rest is optional. Larger wire runs are preferred (8 VS 10) for future stuff. each unit should have its own fuse sized as the manufacturer suggests. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

^^^^^^ +1 this is how I do them, stainless strap double duty wrks as a mount an connector
    breakerconnect.jpg
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I have 2 BlueSea fuse boxes, one at the bow (under my TM recess) and one under the console with dedicated 10 gauge positive and negative for each. Makes changing or adding graphs and accessories very simple. 8 gauge would probably have been better but haven't had any issues using 10.
    For the fuse block under the TM recess at the bow, do you have it screwed down, glued down, or just bouncing around lose?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Here is a guide line for you, note the twisted pairs, very important for clean power.
    No duplex wiring please unless it is prefabbed twisted, 3 to 5 twists per foot.
    MFDSYSTEM.jpg
    sorry for the questions but what is the difference between the duplex and the twisted pairs as long as it says tinned marine wire? Also where do i find that stainless strap for the breaker
    Last edited by fxphil; 03-23-2024 at 06:46 AM.
    2010 FX Skeeter

Quote Originally Posted by fxphil View Post
    sorry for the questions but what is the difference between the duplex and the twisted pairs as long as it says tinned marine wire? Also where do i find that stainless strap for the breaker
    Duplex is just 2 wires not twisted in most cases in a sheath
    I make the stainless straps and post adaptors myself from stainless straps, I have a milling machine, can also be made with a good drill press and carbide tooling
    Can also use copper for the strap material, easier to cut and bend.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    General note/idea: I have started using industrial type Velcro to mount stuff in my boat. No holes to drill and it holds like a bandit. Especially good if you're not 100% certain where you want stuff. It sticks to almost every thing including carpet.

I have in my Skeeter on Velcro - Blue Seas fuse box, HB AS GPS HS, Target Lock foot pedal, couple of cup/junk holders. I've moved them all at least once.

AZ has it. I usually get at Menards since I'm there often.

Highly recommended.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    For the fuse block under the TM recess at the bow, do you have it screwed down, glued down, or just bouncing around lose?
    It's secured with some velcro strips. It's not perfect but it hasn't gone anywhere. I've checked it a few times after bouncing around on Sturgeon Bay and it hadn't come loose.

I've got a Bass Cat and there's an access hatch in the TM well.

Same here, caracal.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex