About to embark on first software update in 3+ years...questions

Hi,

I have a Helix 12 MEGA SI/DI and a Helix 10 MEGA DI (both Gen 3), and linked to my Ulterra. It's performed great over the last 5 years, and it's probably been 3 years since I've updated. But I'm ready to do a system update as I want to upgrade some mapping to the Lakemaster VX versions and know I need the latest software to do so. I have some questions as I am nervous as heck that I'm going to mess up a pretty good thing (ie, everything working fine, but in older formats).

My questions:

- If I am reading correctly, do I need to FIRST update both units software to V. 2.28 BEFORE udpating both units to 2.93? I may have already be running 2.28, I'm not sure as the units are at my cabin, but if not running 2.28, want to confirm I need to update to this, then 2.93.
    - In order to link both units to my Ulterra after updating to 2.93, do I then update the I-pilot link update to version 1.44?
    - Should I update the base maps to version 1.031? Is it worthwhile? If reading correctly, I install this AFTER getting both units updated to v. 2.93.
    - After installing all the updates, will I need to reset anything for the units to "re-network" to my Ulterra I-pilot link or should it do that automatically?
    - I will be downloading all of the software updates onto a single 16mg or 32mg SSD card. Is it okay to install them all on one chip or should I use multiple chips?

Lastly, I will be downloading the software updates onto the SSD cards, via my Mac. I've read of some formatting issues in the past with Macs and need to unzip files before transferring. Any tips/tricks on things to do would be most appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just nervous about this big step (for me, haha) and screwing up what has been working pretty good to this point. Thanks for any help and insight!
    Jeff

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm not a Helix guy so I won't comment about most of your questions but I do know about the Mac and Formatting question. The SD card definitely needs to be formatted in FAT32 (Windows format) and not the Mac native format. If you card is formatted for the Mac it will not work but the Mac will read and write to FAT32 SD cards.

Also, the Helix updates are individual .bin files and are not zipped. That was the Solix and Apex that did the Zip files, but on the last update, even the Solix and Apex were individual .upd files and weren't zipped.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

The 1.031 basemap download is about 5 1/2 GB zipped and has to be unzipped. It has 6 files that have to be copied to a memory card.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    SLYDoggie - is a FAT32 SD card a particular formatted kind of card that I need to use? I've never heard that before but will make sure to buy one. Also - do you (or Wayne) know if I can put all of the files (Helix 12 and 10 updates, 1.031 Basemap, I-pilot 1.44 update) all together and on the same FAT32 card? Or should I use different cards, or delete a file before downloading and installing a new one?

Thanks!

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSev1 View Post
    SLYDoggie - is a FAT32 SD card a particular formatted kind of card that I need to use? I've never heard that before but will make sure to buy one. Also - do you (or Wayne) know if I can put all of the files (Helix 12 and 10 updates, 1.031 Basemap, I-pilot 1.44 update) all together and on the same FAT32 card? Or should I use different cards, or delete a file before downloading and installing a new one?

Thanks!
    I'm pretty sure FAT32 is the format that all SD cards have when you buy them. In Windows, you have format options when you format a SD card. I haven't a clue about the Mac.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSev1 View Post
    Hi,

I have a Helix 12 MEGA SI/DI and a Helix 10 MEGA DI (both Gen 3), and linked to my Ulterra. It's performed great over the last 5 years, and it's probably been 3 years since I've updated. But I'm ready to do a system update as I want to upgrade some mapping to the Lakemaster VX versions and know I need the latest software to do so. I have some questions as I am nervous as heck that I'm going to mess up a pretty good thing (ie, everything working fine, but in older formats).

My questions:

- If I am reading correctly, do I need to FIRST update both units software to V. 2.28 BEFORE udpating both units to 2.93? I may have already be running 2.28, I'm not sure as the units are at my cabin, but if not running 2.28, want to confirm I need to update to this, then 2.93.
    - In order to link both units to my Ulterra after updating to 2.93, do I then update the I-pilot link update to version 1.44?
    - Should I update the base maps to version 1.031? Is it worthwhile? If reading correctly, I install this AFTER getting both units updated to v. 2.93.
    - After installing all the updates, will I need to reset anything for the units to "re-network" to my Ulterra I-pilot link or should it do that automatically?
    - I will be downloading all of the software updates onto a single 16mg or 32mg SSD card. Is it okay to install them all on one chip or should I use multiple chips?

Lastly, I will be downloading the software updates onto the SSD cards, via my Mac. I've read of some formatting issues in the past with Macs and need to unzip files before transferring. Any tips/tricks on things to do would be most appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just nervous about this big step (for me, haha) and screwing up what has been working pretty good to this point. Thanks for any help and insight!
    Jeff
    As far as I know humminbird pc doesnt work on a mac. I use my old old old laptop not my mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    As far as I know humminbird pc doesnt work on a mac. I use my old old old laptop not my mac.
    PC software will work on a MAC if it has an PC emulator like Parallels
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL