Safe to run solar charger and onboard charger at same time?

I'm thinking about getting a solar charger/maintainer for my newly purchased 2015 Nitro Z7 which I plan to leave in the water(w/ sundura cover) at the dock 6-8 months out of the year. The dock does have power so the 3 bank onboard Noco charger is always connected to the three 12v batteries (1 starting, 2 TM) when I'm away from the lake. I'd like to buy a solar charger for my starting battery which runs my auto bilge.

Is it safe to run both the solar charger and onboard charger at the same time? Anybody have experience with one of the solar chargers at Basspro? (I have gift card so would like to purchase there). I'm assuming it needs to have some kind of overcharge protection?

Occasionally a bad storm comes through and circuit breaker/power goes out at the dock, I had a close call with my previous boat when a section of the boat cover blew off from a strong storm and the auto bilge drained the battery completely, resulting in a pretty large amount of water in the boat. I'd like to add the solar charger to the starting battery to serve as back up, in case this scenario ever happens again.

Any feedback/suggestions greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    You will have to talk to manufacturers of your chargers. I think they will bump heads. Maybe a spare battery and solar charger just for second bilge pump.

3. Member
    No reason I can think of why it would not work just fine. Both devices will allow current to only flow in one direction. Out from each device. Just like two or more alternators can be used to charge one battery.

Of course the manufacturers are going to say no. CYA. Even if they know for a fact that it will work.

4. Member
    You can’t guess about this stuff! While trying to keep the boat from sinking you might burn it up by charging? Why would a second charger be needed if you have shore power? Does power stay off for weeks at a time? Get a bigger battery or pull it out while you are gone. Maybe pay someone at the dock to check it out or even cover it back up. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. For whatever reason the breakers down at the dock power can be finicky every once in awhile when a real bad storm comes through and knocks out the power. There are times when power outage can go unnoticed for several days bc it's an hour from where I live, can't always make it up there. I'm thinking best route to go is to scrap the solar charger idea, and instead just put in a 2nd auto bilge about 4 inches higher than the primary auto bilge and connect it to 1 of the TM batteries to serve as back up in the unlikely scenario the starting battery & primary auto bilge were to ever go out.
    Quick question, with my 2 12v TM batteries in a 24v set up, is it ok to connect that 2nd auto bilge(750 gph) to 1 of the TM batteries? Both lead acid deep cycle.

At end of the day really more a peace of mind thing, as it would take many things going wrong at the same time for the boat to be at risk. Making sure that boat cover is properly secured and 8 sand bag weights for good measure.

6. Member
    I can't see a problem with the solar charger. I have solar panels on the roof of my motorhome and it doesn't cause any problem when the motorhome is plugged into shore power. This is my second motorhome with solar and I have never had a problem with it.

7. Member
    As long as your solar power has a charge controller you are fine. It will cut off wherever it is set for voltage. Also read your manual on that Noco. Some will shut down after a few days in bulk mode (for instance leaving a stereo on) with out having the power disconnected to be reset. Cj
    Last edited by CJ1; 03-23-2024 at 03:27 PM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.