Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Catching up to the 250K flat bottom boat I read an article about.
    Just be kind to one another. It really is that simple.

https://www.instagram.com/the_lenny_draper/

2. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Sunglasses do the same thing?
    The goggles fit over "prescription" sunglasses

3. Member
    The dash on those boats looks like something from the early to mid 70's. To me that's horrible looking.
    Hi Mike.

4. Member
    no problems with them trying to market crap because people will buy it up, but my gripe is the console graphs. That is 100% blocking your view. I think if any rule is made it should be that.

5. Member
    What is the turrent for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    That boat belongs to NBT. It's not in the Ikon booth. It has 3ea 16" and 2ea 22" graph/monitors. It has a night vision system and a chain driven turret attached to trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose720 View Post
    Marketing 101.....get people to talk about your product.
    Several years ago, I spent a day in the boat with Chuck Pippin, who happens to be the Marketing Director for Ikon. He is/was a pretty well known guide on Toho.

A lot of our conversation that day was about the fishing industry, patch pirates, etc. He discussed at length his work as a marketing consultant for many fishing brands over the years. One of his main points was to understand your market base.

Ikon's market base isn't the typical blue collar working man that is financing a used bass tracker. They are marketing their boats to high income types that want the best of the best technology. The kinds of guys that buy the most expensive thing at the store to basically show off how much money they have, kind of.

They are simply doing a shock and awe by showing a boat rigged to the current top of the market electronics and accessories. The sticker shock is 100% intentional.

It is working because we are talking about it here. Chuck and his team did their job.

Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    What is the turrent for?

FFS

Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    Several years ago, I spent a day in the boat with Chuck Pippin, who happens to be the Marketing Director for Ikon. He is/was a pretty well known guide on Toho.

A lot of our conversation that day was about the fishing industry, patch pirates, etc. He discussed at length his work as a marketing consultant for many fishing brands over the years. One of his main points was to understand your market base.

Ikon's market base isn't the typical blue collar working man that is financing a used bass tracker. They are marketing their boats to high income types that want the best of the best technology. The kinds of guys that buy the most expensive thing at the store to basically show off how much money they have, kind of.

They are simply doing a shock and awe by showing a boat rigged to the current top of the market electronics and accessories. The sticker shock is 100% intentional.

It is working because we are talking about it here. Chuck and his team did their job.
    Yes they did their job, but at some point, people will realize it ain’t worth the money to spend a lot of money on a Bass boat to catch such a small fish and throw it back in the water at the end of the day.

For that kind of money, I would rather have a Bay boat that you can fish fresh and saltwater, rides better, you can bring family and friends ( more than 2 people) on and most importantly, catch a hell of a lot bigger fish and as an added bonus, actually eat them lol.

9. Member
    It’s nice and cool, I’d love to have it but would never be able to afford something like that, and all the graphs don’t really fit my style of fishing. But what I don’t understand is people’s negativity and hate towards this, if a man can afford it shouldn’t he be able to do what he wants with his own boat? Yea it’s probably $200k but nobody is making you buy it. It’s not like gas prices or car insurance.

I'd be embarrassed in a club tourney to come back to weigh-in in a rigged out $200K Ikon and suck, after turning everyone's heads before blast off.

If you got the money and want one reward yourself. I wouldn't consider you a fool. Striving to be the richest man in the graveyard by being frugal is foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by townsend266 View Post
    It’s nice and cool, I’d love to have it but would never be able to afford something like that, and all the graphs don’t really fit my style of fishing. But what I don’t understand is people’s negativity and hate towards this, if a man can afford it shouldn’t he be able to do what he wants with his own boat? Yea it’s probably $200k but nobody is making you buy it. It’s not like gas prices or car insurance.

I don't think the boat is actually for sale. It's just a display of the products that NBT covers.

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    I'd be embarrassed in a club tourney to come back to weigh-in in a rigged out $200K Ikon and suck, after turning everyone's heads before blast off.

If you got the money and want one reward yourself. I wouldn't consider you a fool. Striving to be the richest man in the graveyard by being frugal is foolish.
    Word

In our industry it's the guy with the semi trailer size Snap On box with every conceivable tool inside fastidiously arranged but can't turn a wrench to save his life
    Ranting incoherently

Ranting incoherently

14. Member
    Guys should learn how to catch fish and not rely on electronics pointing in every direction to do the work , today's fishermen are a joke.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Almost every boat I see around here locally is equipped with 3/4 graphs/FFS/anchors/spot lock troll. It’s pretty much the norm. I know a bunch of guys that have this stuff. I never get the impression that any of them are trying to show off how much money they have. They’re just guys who bass fish and like to have nice and modern stuff. Bass fishing is a lifestyle down here. Dudes are serious about it…wether it’s a Brandon Belt or fishing a Tuesday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    That boat belongs to NBT. It's not in the Ikon booth. It has 3ea 16" and 2ea 22" graph/monitors. It has a night vision system and a chain driven turret attached to trolling motor.
    What brand and cost for the night vision? If I cry hard enough my wife may approve.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    $200 is the monthly payment on your 75 year loan, so it works out economically.
    My fav comment in this thread so far lol

Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    With regards to the visibility restricting comments I agree. I don't have that issue with my units completely blocking my view although I do have to be diligent peering over the tops of the bow and console units and the trolling motor. I carry two pairs of ski goggles and wear them anytime I'm on plane. If a co is with me I'll insist he wear them as well (they like it) to help with watching for other boats, kayakers, stumps, floaters or any other hazards including the shoreline. It just doesn't make sense to be running 65+ and having to squint or strain to stay focused on your route while dodging bugs, rain or watering eyes. I know I've spent my share of times riding as a co with no console and my chin to my chest trying to protect my eyes. It’s a poor utilization of available visual resources and not safe.
    That’s a pretty cool thing to do for the Coangler. Kudos brother

19. Member
    I would be embarrassed to have all of that lol. If you didn’t win or have at least a good limit, just to get beat by the two friends messing around on their jon boat. I’ve said lately, honestly I could do just as well fishing out of a jon boat if it could handle the water/wind. Things are starting to get out of hand

20. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    I would be embarrassed to have all of that lol. If you didn’t win or have at least a good limit, just to get beat by the two friends messing around on their jon boat. I’ve said lately, honestly I could do just as well fishing out of a jon boat if it could handle the water/wind. Things are starting to get out of hand
    Around here we have a lot of 600 acre and less no wake impoundments. On any given day the guys launching with 25hp Rudes are just as fast as the 300 Mercs and catching just as many fish. They just don't look as sparkly and good doing it

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast