Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bass boat trailer tire life?

I put a set of four bass boat tires on in the spring of 2019 I just checked the sidewalls and I can see some small, cracking occurring In those five years, the boat was probably only trailered 125 days..... I also put tire protectant on the tires a few times each year..... five years seem about right or did these tires fail prematurely? And yes, my boat and trailer are stored outside year round !

2. Member
    Seems about right to me. They don't have great lifespan. I know Rick Pierce tends to put passenger car tires onto his trailers just because they are superior products, I'm going to look into that when my tires are looking bad.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I was told that tires are only good for 5 years but I don’t know n

4. Member
    If you trailered 125 times and it is 2 miles to the ramp that's not very far. If you trailered 125 times and the lake is 300 miles from your house, then your tires are probably worn out.

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I was told that tires are only good for 5 years but I don’t know n
    I change mine every 5 years
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

6. Member
    My Endurance on my boat trailer are 2017. Still lots of tread. Ramps I use are 2-10 miles away. No plans on changing them till I have problems

7. Member
    Cooper cobra radials. Original tires on my 2011 Basscat Puma trailer, lasted 12 years and probably had around 30k miles on them. Just replaced them with exact same tires from tire rack. Goodyear endurance are the only "trailer" tire I would even consider if not using radials. My boat stays in the garage when not in use. Storing outside will definitely shorten the life of your tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/cooper-cobra-radial-g-t
    Last edited by castforcash; 03-21-2024 at 01:12 PM.

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Why do trailer tires wear out or develop cracks and truck or car tires do not both are stored outside and trailers are actually used less then car tires //Can anyone explain this
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Why do trailer tires wear out or develop cracks and truck or car tires do not both are stored outside and trailers are actually used less then car tires //Can anyone explain this
    Million dollar question?!? I'm interested in hearing an explanation as well. The only thing I can think of is that too little use and sitting on same spot of the tires for extended periods exposed to direct sunlight in some cases.

10. Member
    When I leave boats outside in sunny times, i cover wheels with covers made for campers to stop or slow the uv from doing that
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    I read somewhere that lack of use keeps moisture or possibly oils or a similar compound from being dispersed throughout the tire which causes dry rot. Not sure if that is true or if it was BS.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

12. Member
    They will let you know when it's time to replace them.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    They will let you know when it's time to replace them.
    At 4;00 A.M. on that one day you have to be there !

14. Member
    Michelin M&S2 truck tires have always sun-checked very quickly, in my experience.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    When I leave boats outside in sunny times, i cover wheels with covers made for campers to stop or slow the uv from doing that
    I did the same and never had cracking issues with my sidewalls. I kept mine covered whenever I was not towing it. My last trailer the tires were a decade old and still had plenty of tread life when I sold it.

16. Member
    I think they flat out just don't make them as well as they do car tires. Trailer tires are somewhat of a niche product that most people only use a few times per year. They don't really design them with the guy that puts 10K miles on them per year. There is a reason Rick Pierce puts passenger car tires on his trailers.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    I’ve also heard armor all and products like that accelerate the sidewall cracking— I use 303 on my tires
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

18. Member
    Deflate winter air in the spring and inflate with warm summer air !

When the tires are rolling and heating up, it conditions the rubber. Polymers in the rubber actually move around within the tire as it’s flexing. When the tires are just sitting, especially outside, the rubber oxidizes from the elements and degrades much faster. This is why the experts say the trailer tires must be changed between 4 & 5 years on a trailer. If you keep it in a garage, out of the sun & elements, you should be able to push replacement out a bit. If you have cracking - they’re done, regardless of tread and age. They typically blow on the sidewalls anyway…

The true answer. The cost sooo much and if they were made to last the companies would lose major$$$$
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast