Thread: Skipping Reels

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Magnetic brake control seems to work better than centrifugal braking when it comes to skipping with a baitcaster. Shallow spools help, but you can put electrical tape on your spool at about the 35 yard mark. That way, if you get a backlash, it doesn't get any deeper than that 35 yard mark.

Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    If you actually know how to skip it really shouldn't matter what reel you use.
    yep... the Shimano 10SG was my original skipping reel......

Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    I wouldn’t get one that pigeon holes you to just that. Get an older Tatula or a SV and you’ll be good. Quick tip is peel off whatever your longest skip can be, then take another 15’. Put a piece of electrical tape on the line and reel it back up. I prefer to keep it inline instead of across the spool. That will eliminate any serious backlash concerns and you’ll be golden. I’m proficient at skipping and I still do that if I know that’s what I’m doing all day. Making 500+ skips it only takes one bad cast that will cost you a lot of time picking.
    That's a great tip to prevent backlash propagating down deep into the spool while learning!
    I might try that for back-handed skipping practice. I do ok on my forehand, but the backhand is no Bueno.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Nothing will help more than practice. But I will say that since I don't skip much (and therefore am not very good at it), I have found the Shimano DC reels and the Daiwa SV reels to be the best at allowing me to skip without getting bad backlashes.
    I agree! A Shimano DC (digital control) reel. Spool it less than full with line, put the brake on 3 or 4 and you're golden!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by TxBassfisher View Post
    Tatula SV TW
    This reel makes all the difference in backlashing but practice is what makes you perfect.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I agree! A Shimano DC (digital control) reel. Spool it less than full with line, put the brake on 3 or 4 and you're golden!
    I wish it worked for me. No matter how I try my Curado DC 150 is the worst backlasher in the box. I just cut out a whole spool of fresh Invizx.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I find that the cheaper $100 reels skip easier than the high dollar ones. I put ceramic bearings in my favorite skipping reel and no longer can use it for that without overruns. However, it will now launch a trap and jerkbait a country mile.

8. Member
    Tatula SV works pretty well. Like many have said any decent reel can skip a bait but it’s nice to have something forgiving while building proficiency.

Any of the Daiwa SV TW reels will work great.

10. Member
    I have become a fan of the Shimano DC reels as well.

11. Member
    Skipping reels are a gimmick. You can skip with any good baitcaster, rod action, lure and technique is way more important than the reel.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    This is a good choice for a skipping reel.
    I bought it to pitch and flip, but i might try it to skip with it.

13. Member
    Went with the Tatula SV TW’s. $209.99 (-$40) BPS Trade In plus $59.99 SIMM Mail In Offer for Hooded Sunshirt =$110.00 Total Cost…Not a bad deal. Thanks everyone for your input.

14. Member
    Daiwa tatula sv tw103 or the lews skipping reel are both good. Practice is number one as said, yes guys can skip with anything blah blah. But these reels help for sure imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Skipping reels are a gimmick. You can skip with any good baitcaster, rod action, lure and technique is way more important than the reel.
    No they are not a gimmick. The SV turned me and the Lew's version another guy in my fishing club into dock skipping masters better than the guys who do it old school due to them having to pick out the occasional backlash which we don't have to do.

16. Member
    Daiwa SV103XS SV

17. Member
    Skipping reels are in fact just a gimmick. You can accomplish the same with any reel by taping your line so the effective spool is smaller.

I found that the more brake the harder you had to cast so the harder it was to skip.

The key is to tape your line in your spool so theres not a lot of extra to back lash and have the brake quite loose and use your thumb as needed.

Looser the brake the less effort it takes to make the cast so the easier it is. There is no replacement for your thumb but all my reels are Daiwa Steeze or Lews Hypermag.

Lastly. A shorter rod helps also if you are going to dedicate a set up since its tip makes a smaller arch so you can release more precisely in the sweet spot a ton easier. fx Extreme sells a mh 6'3" rod thats awesome for skipping and it gave me confidence about 6-7 years ago.

Bait selection also really matters I can skip a chatterbait with a 5 inch paddle tail trailer probably the best. But thats also what I skip the most so it makes sense.

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I don’t skip but I do pitch a lot. Lew’s has a reel that’s labeled as a skip and pitch reel. I’ve had 2 for 2 full seasons and have zero complaints. Just the other day I was thinking about getting a 3rd one. I was very pleased to see they was on sale. The regular price is $199 and I’m thinking they was mark down $50 at Tackle Warehouse. Plus you got a free hoodie that has a Lew’s logo on the chest and tackle warehouse on the sleeves. It qualifies for free shipping. I can’t remember the exact price but it was $160 something to my door. That’s a good price on that reel and the hoodie is a nice bonus. I don’t know if this was a TW sale or a Lew’s sale. All I knew was I was going to pay $199 because I wanted another one. Getting it for 160 something and a free hoodie made it a great deal for me.

19. Member
    The best way I found to learn how to skip is to use any reel you can comfortably cast and use a non weighted bait like a fluke or wacky senko. Maybe start off with mono too. Once you get good at skipping a bait with no weight it easier with heavy awkward baits. If you start off with a 3/4 oz jig you’re gonna have stiff learning curve. I fish a lake near home that if it is sunny you better be skipping docks or your coming home unhappy. A spinning rod is great for it but it’s just not right for docks with piers. You gotta get em out quick or you’ll get em wrapped up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12