Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NAPA 7234 Commercial Battery Option

Hey guys I am a weekend angler at best these days with my sons travel baseball and kids schedule. I run a 15' Optimax 150, and have a Lowrance HDS 12 at the console, and up front a Helix 10 and 7 (no live or mega 360). Leading up to this I was running an Optima D31M, but with the addition of the Helix 10 and the age of the Optima I was going to switch to a NAPA 7234, couple of my friends have been running them without any issue at all as Commercial battery for their bass boats running Mega Live and Active Targeting etc. Seems like pretty good value to me, I KNOW LITHIUM IS GREAT, but I have hard time ponying up 800+ dollars for a battery for a weekend angler. Any feedback on the NAPA 7234, not looking for feedback on Lithium I know the advantages. The AGM options are now like 400-500 these days.... I know it meets requirement for the Merc, just wasnt sure if there was feedback on the experience with them. Thanks again

2. Member
    Made by Deka. Deka makes batteries for lots of companies. Should be good

3. Member
    Thanks my man

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have been running one for about 3 seasons so far so good , I only have 2 carbons and the other regular stuff livewells and bilge if raining and a old Johnson 150 to fire up.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I bought one in 2021 and it kicked the bucket before 1 year was up so I got it replaced under warranty. It is worth noting that the replacement had less cranking amps and reserve capacity than the original. It is a good battery for the money.

However, I do think I have problems with my battery as when I charge it fully with my battery charger, it won't start my engine up without jumping it. It reads 12.8V at the battery when this happens so I am not sure exactly why this is an issue. I will likely replace it before my season officially starts in a few weeks.

I have a Mercury 150 XR6 and have a Garmin 93 with livescope at the bow and a 106 at the console. It also powers my power poles and other house power needs like pumps and lights too.

I have ran that battery. Its about as good as you're going to get for a lead acid.

7. Member

The 7234 is a great basic battery. Used one for 3 years until I had a mishap that drained it to 0 volts. Charged it back up and got another year of it to
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

9. Member
    That battery is a beast and also leaves you heavier in the wallet area.

10. Member

2016 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, 250 PRO XS
    Shawn Willoughby

11. Member
    Love Napa parts but my 2 year old 7234 is crapping out. Will not buy again.

12. Member
    I used the first one for 3 years and started to worry about it, so I bought a new one and stuck the old one in my tractor. It lived about 5 years total. My newer one is going on its third year and I think it’s starting to get a bit weak. I’ll replace it with a lithium this time. I say the Napa 7234’s are great values or at least mine have been.

It is a good battery but has some limitations. It does not have a lot of “cycles” in them. If you run little and fish a lot, one will last 2-3 years. If you run a decent amount and fish a decent amount, you will get more years out of one. IIRC, it has do do with the chemical make up which gives them a lot of cranking amps but limits the lifespan.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    It’s a good battery. I used one in one of my rigs for several years. Peel off the labels to expose the caps so you can monitor the water level. It is not really a maintenance free battery if you want longevity. It is a flooded battery.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

15. Member
    Figure I will get a few years out of it, for the price up front I am ok with it. Once the kids are a little older and can come more regularly with me I can swap to Lithium, just having a hard time justifying the cost for a weekend angler like me with Lithium up front.

16. Member
    I run a commercial batt from Interstate I think it is made by Clarios. I have a Merc 1504S, two Carbons and it is a great batt for my setup. I recommend and would/will buy it again.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

17. Member
    Great battery, works great. Used it with my 2018 ProXS, power poles, livescope, etc...worked flawlessly. Had to use an AGM with my 2021 z21 due to the 4-stroke. Currently use it on my older 98 Merc EFI and all pumps, electronics, etc. Never an issue.

think im going on year 4 for mine and still going strong

The key to good life is not consistently discharge down to 50 percent or lower as it will reduce their life span to less than two years.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    The key to good life is not consistently discharge down to 50 percent or lower as it will reduce their life span to less than two years.
    Correct...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast