Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahomee View Post
    Yes I have thought about it and I haven't done any specific testing. Ive had this mount since 2020 when garmin came out with the panoramic view update. I bought a second unit to try it out.

I adjust it as needed all the time 1-2 degrees up or down usually between 97-105*. Its always on along with the forward view on my other unit.

The angle my ducer would measure from the BOTTOM or HORIZONTAL would depend on how much fuel is in my boat, whether Im fishing solo up front or with someone else. So that is a always changing #.

IF Your limited like everyone else to 1-2-3 clicks so there really isn't anything to figure out except your range for the different clicks/depths.

Attachment 545962
    No wonder we weren't on the same page on the angles. You don't even have Mega Live which is what the original poster was asking about. Mega Live and Livescope are two totally different animals when it comes to transducer angle adjustments.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    No wonder we weren't on the same page on the angles. You don't even have Mega Live which is what the original poster was asking about. Mega Live and Livescope are two totally different animals when it comes to transducer angle adjustments.

No they are not, they both are shooting the landscape mode.

I posted the pic of my garmin all along bud and told you they all have clicks.

Scroll up I never asked you to explain anything or any questions. I simply said "All your degrees are sure confusing."

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    No they are not, they both are shooting the landscape mode.

I posted the pic of my garmin all along bud and told you they all have clicks.

Scroll up I never asked you to explain anything or any questions. I simply said "All your degrees are sure confusing."

Careful with the attitude. I am the moderator of this Humminbird forum and don't put up with people who have attitudes for those trying to help. This isn't even your thread... it's Dirtyeggroll's thread and I was only trying to put things in a Mega Live mount capability perspective.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    Careful with the attitude. I am the moderator of this Humminbird forum and don't put up with people who have attitudes for those trying to help. This isn't even your thread... it's Dirtyeggroll's thread and I was only trying to put things in a Mega Live mount capability perspective.

As if I didnt know that was coming....

My mount works with a mega live as do my angles I gave to the original poster.

My best bud and some time fishing parting runs the mega we fish on his boat as well as mine.

5. Member
    Yes I have thought about it and I haven't done any specific testing. Ive had this mount since 2020 when garmin came out with the panoramic view update. I bought a second unit to try it out.

I adjust it as needed all the time 1-2 degrees up or down usually between 97-105*. Its always on along with the forward view on my other unit.

The angle my ducer would measure from the BOTTOM or HORIZONTAL would depend on how much fuel is in my boat, whether Im fishing solo up front or with someone else. So that is a always changing #.

IF Your limited like everyone else to 1-2-3 clicks so there really isn't anything to figure out except your range for the different clicks/depths.

Attachment 545962
    The 97-105 is relation to the shaft?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    The 97-105 is relation to the shaft?

Yes

Yes
    As measured from above it rather than below it like the MEGA LIVE?
    In both cases it is angled down from horizontal.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    If your transducer is placed in the Landscape mode and perfectly horizontal then half of the 20 degree beam would be above and half would be below the centerline. That means the 10 degrees would be below the center line. If you tilt the transducer 10 degrees downward you will have 20 degrees of beam in the water (the top plane of the beam would be parallel to the water surface). I looked at my Mega Live transducer and there is a threaded hole in one side of the transducer that connects it to the Mega Live mount. If I understand Mahomee’s bracket correctly, he would use the threaded hole to attach his bracket to either the Mega Live or the LVS34 that is showing in his photo. While the Mega Live transducer has the grooves to keep it from rotating, his bracket does not so that is why there are no clicks for adjustment … he just has to approximate (or measure the angle). It really doesn’t matter what holds the Mega Live transducer in place as long as it is at the correct angle and held securely. This reminds me of what happened when Garmin introduced the Perspective mode. For the first six months, transducer mounts for the Perspective view were hard to come by so people were DIYing their own (including me). People were even selling 3D printed mounts online … I bought more than one myself.

9. Member
    So does anyone have any thoughts on the angle relative to the bottom for best bottom imaging?

So does anyone have any thoughts on the angle relative to the bottom for best bottom imaging?

Video in post #2.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Video in post #2.
    Thanks Wayne. I’ve watched the video and didn’t appreciate him talking about the angle of the transducer relative to the bottom. I’m definitely overcomplicating the position of the Mega Live in landscape mode. Of course, it’s not very useful to know the angle of the transducer relative to the bottom, because the bottom is variable and the transducer position is fixed.

My goal is to create a simulation that adjusts the transducer in real time based on the bottom contour. So, if one was heading down or up a slope the transducer would adjust to get the best view of the bottom. There’s a couple ways to do this to create the optimum image. One ways is to have something that physically moves the transducer and the other is to have a much wider beam and subtract out the range of data outside of the optimal. If I got this right, I think I could take out some of the noise/artifact in the signal.

12. Member
    How are you all determining the angle for the transducer for landscape mode?

Is anyone using it with Target Lock?
    As an answer to your question, 0 degrees would be perpendicular to shaft of the trolling motor (or the TargetLock shaft). At 0 degrees, one half of the 20 degree beam would be in the water and one half of the beam would be in the water. One click downward on the ML transducer (10 degrees) would place the top of the beam parallel to the water surface. I am using the ML transducer with TargetLock and it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by aero320 View Post
    As an answer to your question, 0 degrees would be perpendicular to shaft of the trolling motor (or the TargetLock shaft). At 0 degrees, one half of the 20 degree beam would be in the water and one half of the beam would be in the water. One click downward on the ML transducer (10 degrees) would place the top of the beam parallel to the water surface. I am using the ML transducer with TargetLock and it works fine.
    The 20 degrees is not cone shaped, it is right triangle shaped. The coverage would be different depending on which way the mount is opened for landscape (broadcast window up or down). That is why the clicks are different for each in the video.

Last edited by Wayne P.; 03-28-2024 at 08:20 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    I used landscape today at lake fork. My broadcast window is at the top. I found that the 7 clicks was a great starting point. I adjusted up and down depending on my depth. Since we have been basically less than 8 ft most of the week, 7 was the best until we got to 3 feet of water.
    If your site fishing there isn't much of a use for mega live no matter which setup you use. After our second cold front the bass abandoned the shallows. I found a tree and stumps next to the spawn flat. I used landscape to try to catch several big fish around it. Nothing is more frustrating than watching your lure's go by your target with no response. I had a fisherman that uses garmin asked to see mega lives landscape. He was impressed with the image. He said his garmin has more clutter. I would have taken pictures but my phone is being used by a beaver at bell creek... oops. Was kinda nice not to have phone. Thank God for video calls on my laptop to my wife....

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The 20 degrees is not cone shaped, it is right triangle shaped. The coverage would be different depending on which way the mount is opened for landscape (broadcast window up or down). That is why the clicks are different for each in the video.

I still think this is somewhat controversial. There are those who think it is equal on both sides and those, like you state, who say the case must block part of the beam so it isn't equal. I was on the "not equal" like you in the beginning but talked with somebody at Humminbird who should be "in the know" (not on the support team), and he claimed that it is equal.

I don't know which to believe at this point. I tried testing it myself, and it seems pretty equal to me, but my testing was far from scientific.

I still think this is somewhat controversial. There are those who think it is equal on both sides and those, like you state, who say the case must block part of the beam so it isn't equal. I was on the "not equal" like you in the beginning but talked with somebody at Humminbird who should be "in the know" (not on the support team), and he claimed that it is equal.

I don't know which to believe at this point. I tried testing it myself, and it seems pretty equal to me, but my testing was far from scientific.

I think the coverage discussion started about not seeing the presentation on one side when using Down mode. Then evolved into Ray Charles can figure that out.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    I had a fisherman that uses garmin asked to see mega lives landscape. He was impressed with the image. He said his garmin has more clutter.
    Mega live has the best landscape mode from comparing personal use to videos and images I've seen of the others. That's what is so confusing about it. How can landscape be so dang good while forward is just ok.

As far as the beam being equal or not, I'm a firm believer in not. I've seen it over and over where my bait is dead center 50' from the boat then disappear at 30' on a straight line retrieve.
    I lined up on a stick up one day, pointed directly at it with the transducer, and threw at the stick up. My bait disappeared halfway back to the boat. I aimed slightly to the left(transducer mounted on starboard side) and saw my bait all the way back.

I originally thought I had it mounted off center but I did not. Now I actually do mount off center so when my ultrex or kayak pole is pointed straight ahead, the transducer is pointed slightly left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12